The place

We went to The Place last night with DG. It really is a fabulous/groovy/yummy restaurant. D and I were both pleased with the decor. The walls were kind of cobblestone-y (I'm sure there's some technical term for this that interior decoration mavens will know) and the dining room was underground so it felt like you were eating in a charming little grotto.

I was surprised when DG commented favorably on the waiter's biceps. He said he envied them. Then the waiter said, "It's all genetic," though it emerged that he's a personal trainer as well. I also admired the short cap of hair one of the waitresses had, but both men urged me against cutting my hair. Plus I am a short hair virgin.

The food was very good, though in small portions. I had sweet potato ravioli and a frisee salad with candied pistachios and bits of apple. Then we all had dessert: DG had a chocolate cake sprinkled with confectioners' sugar, D had white chocolate mousse with raspberries, and I had the warm spiced Bartlett pear (whenever there is a pear on a menu, I gravitate toward it).

Fortunately/unfortunately, I had two glasses of Pinot Grigio. They didn't have my very favorite wine, Riesling, but I was in a wine-like mood.

(Tangent: I'm very stereotypically girly when it comes to drinks. The sweeter, the better. I remember I was in France once, visiting my roommate who was studying abroad that year, and she was friends with a British guy who spotted the (probably pink) drink I was carrying. "That's a bird's drink," he said with that authoritative British accent.)

So I had the Pinot Grigio, because I like white wine (no unsightly tooth stains, and doesn't feel as heavy in your tummy) and I read that PG is good for vegetarian food. Apparently Cabernet is good for red, bloody meat. FYI.

I like being tipsy; I feel more confident and colorful and articulate, but then, lying awake at 4 am, I thought:

"This is why I don't drink."

"Or, when I do, I stop at one."

I have to remember this next time.

Comments

Caro said…
I love your hair.

Sorry about the insomnia.
Anonymous said…
Pinot grigio is very fruity and refreshing.

Re: wine pairings... cabs and other reds can go nicely with tomato-y vegetarian dishes. And with chocolate! But I think people should drink what they like, when they like.

Liberate the wine! Rage against the machine! or something like that. :D
Bearette said…
C- that's sweet! Thank you. Sometimes I want to cut it off. Hair can misbehave.

Liz - i thought you would comment on the wine ;) i did like the pinot. i read somewhere that the matches are actually based on color...red wine = red meat, white wine = chicken...or some such. But the tastes are probably complementary as well, i imagine.
Amy said…
I love a good glass of wine - red or white - though I tend to stay away from the pink. I have a friend who when we first met I vividly remember her getting drunk on "pink wine" as she kept calling it.
Anonymous said…
Hair never misbehaves more than when you're trying to grow it out after it's been very short.

I would say cut it, but I'm growing mine out now that I've decided it doesn't work with my body type (whatever that means).
jules said…
I've heard alot about that place (LOL) over the years - have to try it out sometime! I will try to do the meme sometime soon!
Bearette said…
Jules - cool! they actually have 2 locations - west 10th & west 4th - i think west 4th is better.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!