Daisy chain

Before I moved to New York, I never experienced a dog park. My dog had no truck with other dogs (dating from the day a furry torpedo shot out of its house and bit her; it was a Welsh corgi, but still) and there are no dog runs in suburban MA (to my knowledge).

Anyway, D and I often have lunch at Red Bamboo, a vegetarian mecca that offers up faux chicken Parmesan and grilled soy chicken salad (grilled over open coals; fabulous). Nearby is Washington Square Park, with a special enclosed run for small dogs. A sign on the door warns against various things, including people without dogs, but I slip in anyway.

Today I went there after lunch (D had a doctor's appointment) and visited with the wee dogs. One was Jack (wearing a sweatshirt that said WAGWEAR 2). Another was Frank, a delicate soul in a knit sweater. "He likes you better than the other dogs," his owner observed, before firing off questions: "Do you have a dog?" "I used to." "Are you going to get another?"

The dogs gathered around me got a bit rowdy, and then one humped the other, and then a third one humped that one, all in a row so it was like a daisy-chain of humping. One of the owners said, "Jack, you don't want to do that. Oh, I guess you do want to do that. They're competing for your affection," he told me.

Sounds nicer than establishing dominance :)

Comments

Roxanne said…
Boy, you really know how to get them going, dontcha? ;)
Irene said…
Hi Beautiful! You've been tagged! Have fun! ;p
This suzy said…
Not quite the affection you were hoping for, I take it? lol
Bearette said…
Roxanne - unfortunately, yes ;)

Irene - thank you! i will try to think up some good answers.

Suzy - exactly. i am definitely going back, though! those dogs are cuties.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!