A cat took a nap in my lap

D and I discovered a burger joint in Brooklyn, DuMont Burger, which serves a delectable chickpea burger on a brioche bun with tzatziki sauce. We're willing to make the trek to another borough for it. Another attraction: a nearby bookstore that I like not so much for its pulpy, kitschy selection, but for its plump, sweet cat.

The cat is grey with black stripes and has a soft, ample midsection. It is very cozy. The last two times I made its acquaintance, it was sleeping on (a) a chair and (b) a stack of books. This time, it was awake and prowling. I put down my pink Strand tote bag to pat it, and it promptly curled up on the bag. I patted it some more and then it stepped off the bag, climbed onto my lap (I was sitting cross-legged on the floor) and fell asleep there. It was so warm and comforting. I was sorry that I'm allergic to cats because this one was so delightful.

Eventually we had to go; I carefully unfolded one leg, then the other, and the cat curled up between my knees. We finally left, but not after much patting and some piteous meows from the cat. I have no doubt it is well-loved and cared for :)

However, the cat left its scent on my mittens, and a dog I patted later barked at me (after sniffing the mittens)! D says I need two pairs of mittens. This remains to be seen, though, because I patted another dog who was just fine with it.

Comments

Poppy said…
Oh my. I wish I lived near you so that I could have that chickpea burger. I have a strong love of all things chickpea.

In our local Agway there is always a grey and white tabby cat sitting on the lawn furniture. Never fails, he's always there. It's wonderful. :)
Roxanne said…
Maybe the second dog has a cat friend at home? Or maybe the first dog's smell overpowered the cat's smell on your mittens? Or maybe I'm over analyzing this a bit too much.
Bearette said…
Interesting. I like the idea of a cat friend canceling the dog's aversion to cats. (I was totally analyzing it, too ;)
Caro said…
I'm very surprised you didn't choose to be a veterinarian
This suzy said…
That sounds like a such a sweet cat! And I wouldn't worry about the mittens. Different animals respond to different smells, so you never know. lol
Bearette said…
C - i did want to be one, but my allergies would get in the way :(

suzy - it's true, none of the other dogs seemed to mind :)
verniciousknids said…
Happy New Year!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!