Friday thoughts

D and I tried to see The Good Shepherd tonight, but it doesn't come out until December 22. My enthusiasm is dampened by the fact that it's 3 hours long. But we'll probably see it anyway.

"Coupling," which used to show at 10 pm on Fridays (we managed to catch it once), seems to no longer be on. Tonight they had "Secrets for Aging Skin with Dr. Denese" (who should really not be spelling her name that way).

It's hard to get into the Christmas spirit when it's about 50 degrees outside and people are running around in shorts, but Sarah McLachlan's CD "Wintersong" is helping. It's really good.

~~~~

The crossing buddy is a New York phenomenon. It is a friendship that is formed without words and lasts only a few minutes. Yet it serves an important purpose.

Walking is the best way to get around New York. Cabs take too long and eat up your cash. The subway is cheaper, but you have to wait for it, and half the time you end up sitting in someone's lap (not literally, but there's definitely thigh overlap).

But when you walk, you face the twin perils of bikes and cars. Bikes are much worse, but cars can take the corners hard.

So, when you cross the street, you fall in step with a crossing buddy. The more, the better. We all think the car is less likely to hit us, if there's an us instead of a me.

Thin, heavy, short or tall people of all ages and races can be peaceful crossing buddies. But I realized a woman and a shorter man are not the best combination. I had a crossing buddy who was shorter than me and the cars were not properly intimidated. I think they wanted to run us over anyway.

~~~~

Maybelline's Moisture Whip lipstick has been replaced by Moisture Extreme lipstick. The Moisture Extreme shade names are the same, but the hues are different. D cleverly went to eBay and bought some for me. So, Moisture Whip fans, you can head over there.

We heard about P's dinner with the Vogue editrix. She is no longer working at Vogue and she is dating (well, periodically, um, visiting) a guy who sounds like Trump II.

Comments

This suzy said…
Is Wintersong Christmas music or "regular" songs? I do love me some Sarah, but I don't usually buy Xmas albums since I only listen to them about 3 or 4 weeks out of the year.
Caro said…
A crossing buddy sounds pretty cool.

Maybe you'll get snow in time for Christmas.

It took me years to get used to a brown Christmas. It didn't seem the same.
Bearette said…
suzy - it's Christmas music but it kind of sounds like regular Sarah music...she puts her own stamp on it. In fact, I like it better than her last CD, afterglow, which i was a little disappointed in. this one sounds more like her.

c - isn't it? ;) i'd love to get some snow. of course, it gets dirty pretty fast. but it's so nice when it's falling.
This suzy said…
I actually loved Afterglow. lol But I'll have to check this one out too! :)
Roxanne said…
I want to see some more white stuff before Christmas, too. It's supposed be 59 degrees here tomorrow. No fair!

I love the crossing buddy idea. So, do you make actual eye contact with someone before crossing, or is it just a matter of stepping out at the same time as someone else (preferably tall, male and prominent)?

I love Sarah. But I almost cry every time I hear her sing.
Bearette said…
roxanne - i like the weird weather, now that i know it's el nino & not global warming (according to one of my yoga students, anyway).

re the crossing buddy, sometimes you make eye contact, but more often you just fall in step next to each other. i like how it's unspoken.

sarah does have a beautiful voice.
Poppy said…
I can't believe you need crossing buddies. Manslaughter is manslaughter in no matter which of our glorious states you choose to commit the crime. I say you should bring a bike horn with you everywhere you go and HONK at the damn cars, and do a bit of crazy lady talking. That's what I would do... :D
Amy said…
No one walks in LA - it's a shame really, I love walking around and people just stare at you (or worse, honk) as they drive past you walking.
Bearette said…
Amy - i hope you walk anyway :)

P - that might encourage them to hit me!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!