Yevgueny Kepushkev

D always told me how mature he was, even as a kid. So imagine my shock when he told me how he and Lobo used to make prank calls.

"It was only one afternoon," he explained. "We'd call the parents of kids we didn't like too much."

This is what they did to these poor answering machines.

[in a thick Russian accent]

"Hello, this is Yevgueny Kepushkev from American Communist Party. Your son, ___, expressed interest in Party. I call to deliver rap message to you."

Then one of them did a breakbeat while the other one sang:

"My name Yevgueny
I am a Russian.
I talk to you
I no am moshin'.
If you find yourself in pickle,
You can count on hammer and sickle.
I hope you give our party a try
If you don't...you might just die."

Then they said in unison:

"Call 555-USSR"

and hung up.

I'm not sure what "moshin'" is, especially since these prank calls predated mosh pits. And the "might die" part is a bit much. But I love the idea of "you can count on hammer and sickle." I might make it my personal motto.

Comments

Roxanne said…
Silly boys!

I guess nowadays you can't get away with prank calls with caller ID and all. Especially if you made a death threat!
Anonymous said…
Those crazy kids...
bdogg_mcgee said…
HA!

D is so silly! :)

We used to prank call people who had the same names as the boys of New Kids on the Block. We'd say, "Are you Jordan Knight?" and when they'd say, "Yes.." we'd all start screaming like banshees, then when they said, "I'm not THAT Jordan Knight," we'd all start crying. Fake crying, of course.

Ahh, 7th grade.
Anonymous said…
Well, prank calling might be immature in itself, but the quality of those prank calls suggest a certain kind of maturity. Or intelligence anyway.

We used to prank call my 6th grade band teacher. His name was Mr. Philpot. I mean, come on, with a name like that he was asking for it!
Bearette said…
roxanne - i guess we should be grateful for caller ID ;)

liz - crazy and creative, right?

bdogg - lol. i wonder if the people you called were nkotb fans. i saw them in concert, as we all did, it seems ;)

kitkat - it's true, they do seem like smart prank calls ;) there was a philpot in my 7th grade class. she was a cheerleader (ugh).
Bearette said…
kitkat - i also just remembered, my band teacher was named parsons. my father affectionately referred to him as mr. parsnips (not to his face).
Caro said…
That is really creative!

I think it's hilarious.

One time we called a listing in the phonebook for Chester Hooker. Some little old lady who sounded like she was on her deathbed answered and told us we had the wrong number.

I felt so guilty. :(
Bearette said…
hee. i'm so glad everyone approves of his prank call ;)
Roxanne said…
Hey, I've got an idea. We can all exchange phone numbers and prank call each other (but they must be as creative as D's). ;)
Perplexio said…
I tried to prank call my older brother when I was a kid. I'd tell him I was from some sweepstakes company and that he'd won an all expense paid trip to some random town in Wyoming I'd seen on a map once.

It never worked out, even though I pre-recorded the message on a microcassette recorder at 1.2 speed and played it back over the phone @ 2.4 speed.

I think the chipmunk-esque voice is what inevitably tipped him off.
Bearette said…
That is a very technically sophisticated prank call :)
Bearette said…
roxanne - hee. i'm afraid i never had his mad prank call skills ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!