Kibbles and bits

I feel like blogging, but I have no overarching topic, so this is kind of a premature Tuesday twelve/Thursday thirteen.

We had Thanksgiving at my in-laws'. My MIL made two chocolate Statues of Liberty as centerpieces. Upon hearing that the statue contained rum, my SIL became excited and broke it in half (to get to the rum). Unfortunately, the rum had been soaked up by the chocolate.

I met one of those foxy dogs (you know, the ones that look like foxes) and found out he was 15 years old. I told him he was an elder statesman.

I read Chicken with Plums by Marjane Satrapi recently. Although the premise might strike you as ultra-depressing -- it's the story of her great-uncle, whose wife broke his tar (lute); he couldn't find a replacement, and ended up starving himself to death -- it was really a beautiful story. I also love the way she draws. She did a really cool thing in this book where she put the flashback panels in black with white ink (instead of the other way around).

The agent thing is really a drag. I'm currently waiting for one to respond; it usually takes them about a month if they're reading chapters (as opposed to just skimming your query letter). I like writing itself, but the trying to get published bit is not fun.

Comments

blackcrag said…
What's this about books? When did this happen? What's the genre? Am I getting the full story here?

Finally, whi is everyone getting a book together these days but me? I just don't get it.
blackcrag said…
Oh, and... good luck!
bdogg_mcgee said…
I just adore Marjane Sartrapi. Lisa had talked about reading "Persepolis" in her blog awhile back, and seeing that my heritage is half Persian, I jumped at the chance to read those books and learn more about my heritage. I hear that she has another graphic novel out about her Grandmother's life....

Good luck with the publishing! I know it's going to work out for you. :)
Bearette said…
BC - I can tell you're a journalist from your questions ;) Yeah, I wrote a novel. It's chick lit/women's commercial fiction, whatever...about a woman who has an affair with her brother-in-law and then her work life implodes (but with a happy ending).

Bdogg - thanks :) Yeah, the grandmother one is Embroideries, I think. I liked that one too. For some reason Chicken with Plums is my favorite. I remember when you found out about your dad!
Anonymous said…
Please tell me you have pictures of the chocolate/rum statues...
Caro said…
I started reading, "A Girlfriend's Guide to Witchcraft" on your reccomendation but it has dissapeared!
Bearette said…
Liz - i didn't have my camera...sorry :( my mil might have pix though. heck, she might even be willing to send you one in the mail ;)

C - maybe someone cast a spell on it :D i hope it turns up.
Lisa said…
"Chicken with Plums" is on my to-read list for winter break.

And I'm so excited for you that you've made it this far with your book. I'm sure things will move along---but I know the waiting is killer.
Bearette said…
Lisa - i think you'll like it. thanks for the well wishes. as tom petty says, "the waiting is the hardest part." ;)

Roxanne - i have to accept part of the blame; i encouraged them to take their shirts off ;) what can i say, i'm a rabble rouser...i love dogs that get so excited.
Roxanne said…
Good luck with the book!

I met a very rambuctious doggy in Pittsburgh on Friday. He said his hellos to the kids and I....and then he said a few more hellos to me because he kept on jumping up on my legs. He was very cute and nice about it though. :)
Roxanne said…
Oh yeah, I forgot to say....EEEWWW about the shirtless men at Thanksgiving. Double EEEWWW!

(I have a thing about overly hairy men...meaning it freaks me out)
Katie said…
"I like writing itself, but the trying to get published bit is not fun." Isn't that the truth?

I've heard GREAT things about Sartrapi's "Chicken with Plums"...I'm glad you liked it and now I know what to read over the winter break!

Love,
~Belle
jules said…
LOL - foxy dog! Shibu Inu?! Or something like that ...everytime I see one of those dogs I say to myself "oh, foxy lady!"

Man, this new google identity stuff kind of sucks!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!