Borat

Interesting tidbits about Sacha Baron Cohen (aka Borat):
He's engaged to Isla Fisher, the redhead from Wedding Crashers.
He got his start in Madonna's video, "Music".
He will only give interviews in character.
While he was in character, promoting Borat, he explained that his eleven-year-old daughter was pregnant and he hoped the baby would "be adopted by the singing tranvestite, Madonna."

AT, D and I all liked the movie, though parts of it were unsettling/disturbing. With some of his subjects, Borat didn't even have to say anything; they just revealed themselves in a way that no reporter would ever get them to do.

The movie also showed that Sacha Baron Cohen is pretty smart; he knew exactly how to act in each situation to get the desired response, and he was able to make a bored man in an elevator the visual punchline to a joke.

I don't want to give too much away, but it's the only extended man-on-man nude wrestling scene you'll see all year.

And also, though some people revealed some pretty scary aspects of their personalities, others were very patient and kind to him. So it was an interesting view of how America would seem to an outsider (and a kooky one at that).

He also tried kissing men on the New York subway (not wise).

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've been hesitant about whether or not I wanted to see it. I like the character from seeing it on the Ali G show, but I heard the whole "Throw the Jew down the well" song on NPR and I didn't think it was very funny. Some unsettling parts of humanity I'd rather not pay to sit through.
Irene said…
I think Borat's hilarious! We'll definitely catch this movie. c",)
Bearette said…
I was reluctant to see it at first, too. But very quickly I was like, "No way am I leaving!"

Leah, I didn't hear the NPR bit, though D tells me it was disturbing.

Irene, you guys will laugh a lot!

A lot of it is broad, slapsticky humor that's not offensive to anyone (ie, the nude wrestling).
This suzy said…
I think I'd like to see it. Now I just hope I find a good time to go! :)
Bearette said…
I kind of want to see it again. It was unique.
Amy said…
I have been wanting to see Borat, though Ted seems to think it may be a little too crass for him - isn't that supposed to be the other way around? Oh well, I'm glad you liked it, I'll use that in my arsenal.
Bearette said…
popscholar - nothing yet :( well, one is still looking at it. sending out lots of queries. it's not the most fun process in the world. but i'm working on a YA book, which is fun.

amy - hee! sometimes there are those gender reversals ;) ie, d is interested in furniture, and i'm just not.
Anonymous said…
sounds very interesting! Maybe this will have to be the one movie I see in the theater in 2006. :)
Bearette said…
it's a good choice ;) and '06 is drawing to a close...
blackcrag said…
That guy is engaged to Isla Fisher? Unfair!

Someone that dorky looking gets someone so hot?

And me, I can't even get a date. Why not? I'm dorky-looking too!
Bearette said…
He probably makes her laugh ;)
blackcrag said…
Is that at him or with him?

I know I can do the one, but I'm not sure about the other.

My younger sister went to see Borat this weekend. She said with my sense of humour (we share the same sense of humour--I blame our mother, as she has it too), I'd love it.

What I did see was The Departed an amzaingly tight, if violent, film. But it is Sorcese, so what else would it be? Seriously though, the script, the cast... it was fantastic.
Bearette said…
it was interesting, i stumbled across the opening night of the departed a while ago...but i didn't get to see any of the stars. i'm glad you liked it.
SK said…
I want to see Borat too. I'm sure Mike and I would enjoy it. we're rude like that. :)

As far as the departed: EXCELLENT.
I loved it and I want to see it again. Now that was a movie that was worth my $8.50. Although when I left the theater I felt like I was ready for a fight. It was very exciting.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!