It's tough losing Scrabble

I just read Kim's entry about how it's tough being a mom (although I have to say her dog is adorable). Well, I'm here to say, it's tough losing Scrabble.

Bear in mind that I was an English major. D didn't take any English classes in college. Sniff.

Yet he manages to beat me anyway.* My husband is a %&^# Scrabble genius. Damn it. I can be winning a game all the way through and then he makes some move that, like a sword, has the effect of slicing my winning score in half.

Case in point: tonight. I'd made some fine maneuvers, like "frog" on a triple word score. Twenty-four points, people. And then D had to write the word "condoms", simultaneously creating the words "my" and "sum".

So what? you ask.

Well, he used all seven of his tiles when he wrote "condoms", so that means he got 50 points in addition to the value of "condoms", "my" and "sum".

So he got 81 points for those words. (And he was on a double word score, he perkily reminded me.)

I guess I have one thing to be thankful for. He feels so guilty that he's cleaning up the board (putting the letters away, etc.)

*I did beat him in Scrabble once, the very first game we played back in '99.

Comments

Roxanne said…
I beat my significant other once also. And I'm bound and determined to beat him again! Good luck on your own quest. (Isn't it frustrating?)
Bearette said…
hehe...yes...though I'm seeing more of the humor now. we will prevail!
This suzy said…
Good luck! I'm sure all of the English will come in handy sooner or later! ;)
Bearette said…
this whole thing reminds me of madonna...she & her husband can't play scrabble b/c she gets mad if he wins. i guess couples can get competitive ;)
verniciousknids said…
I could make some snarky comment about men and their one track minds based on his winning word...but I'll resist the temptation ;)

You and Madonna should have a yoga pose-off!
Bearette said…
Hee! One of my double-word scores was "naivete" - much more sophisticated than "condoms" ;)
Irene said…
Bearette - Scrabble!!! Let's play! :p
Poppy said…
It's a lot about the strategy of word placement in addition to chosing good words. I have zero strategy so I tend to do really poorly at Scrabble.
Bearette said…
Irene - that is one long-distance game ;)

Poppy - definitely. I've started to pick up some strategy tricks from D - i.e., creating more than one word at a time, and using premium squares a lot.
Caro said…
I get so aggravated playing scrabble with my hubs.

I'll have my space in mind, my word mapped out, and he TAKES it.

Plus he takes so darn long to move, I want to scream.
Bearette said…
D does the same thing! I've imposed a three-minute time limit on him ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!