Dog encounters of the third kind

Most dog owners (D insists on calling them "caretakers"; no one can "own" a dog, he says) are thrilled if you pat their dog. They'll even urge him on if he's reticent. "Say hello," they'll coo. However, there is a brand of owner I detest. The Impatient Owner.

(Disclaimer: I know sometimes people are in a rush. But this one today rubbed me the wrong way...literally.)

Anyway, I saw a beautiful white dog. It looked like a petite, snowy wolf. I squatted to pat it and it looked at me tenderly. It was one of those dogs I have a special connection with. The owner tugged on its leash, and it held its ground. I was mid-pat when the owner yanked the leash. Ow! It was one of those chain-link leashes, and it hurt my shoulder. I looked up and the owner was completely oblivious. But he cut short my dog time and my shoulder is still sore. He is on my bad list.

Then I saw a man sitting on his stoop with a dog on his lap, belly up. The dog plainly had cataracts. He invited me to pat her, explaining that she couldn't see or hear. Her name is Gracie. I patted her tummy and her head as she lay peacefully on his lap. I got into a nice conversation with the man, whose wife takes yoga, and even gave him one of my yoga cards so he and his wife can come to class. (He asked me where I was from...he had an Irish accent...and I said Massachusetts. He said, "Oh, I thought you were Israeli...") He didn't own the dog, but looked after her a couple times a week. He was very affectionate with her.

So he helped make up for the other owner, but my shoulder still hurts.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It makes me feel bad when I see owners (caretakers!) yanking the dogs about by their necks.

I bet Alex would love you.:)
Bearette said…
And I would love him!

I may be in Virginia in November, so pats may be in store :)
Anonymous said…
Sorry about your shoulder!
Bearette said…
Thanks! I hope the owner/caretaker is more careful in the future.
verniciousknids said…
When dogs have cataracts do they operate to remove them like they do in humans?

And does this mean that dogs should wear sunglasses to help prevent the formation of cataracts?
kj said…
nice story, bearette. reminds me immediately why i too love dogs so so much.
Bearette said…
kj - they are very lovable :)

vk - interesting. i never thought of cataract operations for dogs. most likely the owners don't want to put them through the trauma. i think it happens with age, not through sun exposure. but i don't know for sure.
Roxanne said…
Sorry about your shoulder. Ouch! I wonder if he didn't notice you had gotten hurt?
This suzy said…
I feel bad for dogs who have such rude owners/caretakers. I always kind of feel like they take the brunt of it, and they don't deserve it.
Anonymous said…
Yes, dogs can get cataract surgery!

When I told Alex you might be coming for a visit, his eyes got wide and his tail wagged. That's usually his response when I talk to him, but I think he really understood what I was saying. ;)
Bearette said…
Roxanne - thanks! Yeah, i'm pretty sure he didn't notice. when i looked up, he was just smiling distractedly. i figure he wouldn't do that if he knew the chain pulled against my shoulder.

suzy - it's true. i think this one was probably nice to the dog most of the time, though...just a feeling i got :D

Liz - that's awesome! i am sending him a long-distance pat :)
Caro said…
What a jerk, impatient owner that is.
Bearette said…
Yeah, if i see him again, i'll stand on the other side of the leash!
Caro said…
Hee hee.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!