Grey's Anatomy...and a confession

The last time I went to the chiropractor, we were talking about Grey's Anatomy and he told me, "McDreamy and Preston Burke had a fistfight." He went on, "McDreamy has a temper."

Well, today I saw Us Magazine at the grocery store and had to pick it up, because they had a super-dramatic cover touting fights on the set of Grey's. And Us informed me that Isaiah Washington wanted Patrick Dempsey's part, and it doesn't sit too well with Isaiah that Patrick is late on the set every morning.

So to make a long story short, it was actually Isaiah who started the fight. He's mad because he wanted Patrick Dempsey's part. AND Isaiah called T.R. Knight a bad word. (T.R. Knight is one of my favorite actors on the show.) Now there is talk that Isaiah will be fired. I think he should apologize, but I like the current cast. I do wish Izzy would just cash her $8.7 million check, though.

As Erica Jong says, "Gossip is the opiate of the oppressed."

Now for my confession. I saw a Seeing Eye dog with its owner this morning. The dog had the saddest eyes I'd ever seen. I know you're not supposed to pat them, but they were waiting for the light to change, so they could cross. Without saying a word, I kneeled down and held my hand out. The dog licked my hand and wagged its tail as I patted its head.

As I walked away, I could hear the owner gruffly commanding the dog to cross the street. I wanted to unclasp the dog's leash and run away with it.

A further confession. I saw another Seeing Eye dog once whose owner was berating it openly. I couldn't help myself, and said, "You should be nicer to your dog."

Comments

Reighnie said…
That's so sad about the dog. I've only seen happy devoted service dogs. I never thought someone who relies on an animals help so much would mistreat the animal.

Of course, the dogs I've seen the owner would let people pat him/her on certain terms so the dog wouldn't step out of line.

Poor puppy.
Bearette said…
i'm glad you've seen happy ones. i thought they often looked depressed. maybe they just need to have more fun. in the city a lot of guide dog owners snap, "don't pat him!" so the dogs probably don't get as much affection as they otherwise would. it's sad.
Caro said…
Why can't a seeing eye dog be petted?

This is probably the world's dumbest question, I know, but if a dog is supposed to be socialized, shouldn't it be used to all kinds of different people?
Anonymous said…
I'm glad you said something to that meanie. Very brave.
Bearette said…
Carolyn - i definitely think they should be petted, but i guess the owners want them to stay focused. they might fear the dog would get distracted.

crystal - thanks :)
Amy said…
Yeah, I've heard a lot about the "Grey's" fight and I think Dempsey had every right to punch Isiah after what he did. Now it shatters my impression of Dr. Burke as well, one of my favorite characters on the show. I do like the entire cast as well, I don't think Isiah should be fired, just apologize to TR and Patrick.
Bearette said…
Yeah, it really changes my opinion of Dr. Burke. I thought he was a really nice guy before.
SK said…
We had a lady with a seeing eye dog in the store the other day and I asked if I could pet the dog. She said she preferred that I didn't and thanked me for asking. She further explained that when the dog is "working" they don't like for strangers to pet them because it takes the dog's mind off what it's supposed to be doing. There has to be a distinct difference between play time and work time otherwise the dog may get distracted while working and that could potentially be dangerous. I completely understand that rationale and it makes sense. If I were relying totally on a dog as my sight I wouldn't want it running off to frolick while I'm trying to cross a street.

But they shouldn't yell at you. That's just plain mean. They could politely say something.
Bearette said…
Yeah, I just wish they were nicer to their dogs :( D does have a friend, though, who's very nice to his guide dog and gives him green apples.
Martha said…
Hello,
I work with a guide dog, and your mentioned behaviors are distracting. It is a personal preference, but most people with guide or other assistance dogs do not want them to be pet while they are working because this is very distracting. Maybe, the dog looks sad, but it is happy. My dog is always wagging her tail while she is working. Sneak petting is never appropriate, and it is not appreciated by dog handlers. You said someone was openly mean to the dog. What you probably saw was a verbal and leash correction or maybe a high-collar. This is done by giving a quick pull back on the leash or moving the collar behind the dog's ears and pulling it tight. The dog has strong neck muscles, so this does not hurt it; it is just a way to get it refocused. For example, if my dog doesn't slow for a curb or stairs, tries to pull me to other animals or people, or runs me into objects, such as a wall or pole, she receives this correction. The person you saw was not mean or abusive; he or she was just trying to get the dog to remember it was work time, not play time. The person was probably not trying to be mean to you, but he or she could have been having a bad day with the dog, other people, or anything else.
Someone asked why petting is not good while working. The blogger who commented about the dog being in the store is absolutely right. Also, dogs are used to many different people, including babies and children. I pet or play with my dog often when she is out of harness. I am a college student living on campus, so besides my play time, my dog Valerie gets lots of attention from people in this dorm, as well as others when she is in my room out of harness.
I hope this clears up some misunderstanding and gives you an answer from a guide dog handler's perspective of why it is always important to ask before petting and that the open correction which appears mean is our way of getting our dog's attention during work time.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!