Best of...

I have to wonder if god hates me. I have insomnia and I still have remnants of allergies (though not the full-blown coldish-fluish thing I had recently). Also my back is a little twinge-y.

But my loss is your gain. I can't sleep, so I'll go to allconsuming.net (nifty site that tracks the books I read) and share with you some of my favorite books since February 2006 or so.

Here they are:

Girls' Guide to Witchcraft by Mindy Klasky. A Virginia librarian moves into library-owned housing to save on rent and discovers a trove of witchcraft books in the basement. She's got the power.

My Latest Grievance by Elinor Lipman. Lipman's latest sarcastic/sweet tour de force. Some of it is borderline offensive but most of it was very enjoyable.

Knitting Under the Influence by Claire LaZebnik.

Espresso Tales by Alexander McCall Smith. This was one of my favorites of his. He's disgustingly prolific and churns out about 5 books a year. This one includes a chapter from a dog's point of view. Groovy.

The Good Good Pig by Sy Montgomery. True story of a pig kept as a pet. Tugs the heartstrings ;

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. Very cool and creative account (nonfiction dressed as a comic book) of a girl's coming of age in Iran. Her sense of humor and ability to tell a story will keep you turning pages.

Teacher Man by Frank McCourt.

Pug Hill by Alison Pace. This is about a woman who goes to Pug Hill in Central Park whenever she feels down. I tried to find Pug Hill with a friend, going to the area indicated in the book...but there doesn't seem to be one :( Still, a good read.

TTFN by Lauren Myracle. This is a young adult book written entirely in instant-message form; the title stands for "ta-ta for now". Although I've never done instant messaging, I liked this book a lot (as well as its predecessor, TTYL - "talk to you later").

Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin. A really fun and inventive look at the afterlife.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I wish I could read like that! My list since February:

London Fields - Martin Amis (been trying to finish that one for about a year)

The Martian Chronicles - Ray Bradbury (a series of short stories, still working on that one also)

Bluebeard - Kurt Vonnegut. I actually finished that one!
Bearette said…
I liked the martian chronicles! i remember (i think) one story in there about how they wish the rain would stop falling. i saw him speak at my college once - he had a lot of energy.
Amy said…
I haven't read any of those books - I will have to add them to my ever growing "want to read" list.
Bearette said…
Cool! I am always glad to get/give book recommendations. I was able to get into the rest of my allconsuming account and add some more books i liked.
Anonymous said…
I couldn't sleep last night, either.

yaaaawn.
Bearette said…
maybe it's catching ;)
Irene said…
Interesting list. I have to check some of those titles out.

Hope you're starting to recover. If you want to feel a bit better, just keep staring at Reynaldo's pictures. HAHA! c",)
Bearette said…
hee! probably a good idea.

i hope you're getting over your cold, too.
verniciousknids said…
I haven't read any of those books...but I'd heard about some of them.

Hope you are feeling better now.
Bearette said…
VK - thanks! hopefully i will be totally non-congested someday.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!