Sleep mishegoss

I've co-slept myself into a corner. For a while, it worked. But if I don't fall asleep at the same time E does, he tends to wake during the night. After a long spell of sleeping through the night, he's been restless. So I got a copy of The No-Cry Sleep Solution and I'm going to try one of the strategies she recommends. There is a gradual solution (where you put the crib mattress on the floor, surrounded with pillows, etc.) and after the baby falls asleep, or when he's drowsy, you put him on the crib mattress. After about a week of this, the baby supposedly gets used to sleeping by himself, and then you move the crib mattress into the crib.

There's also a "sneaky solution" where you put the baby to sleep using the usual method, then put him into the crib. I tried this once and he only lasted a couple of hours in there.

There is also the cute solution (for toddlers) of making a "go-to-sleep" book. Hopefully, his problems will be solved before that age.

He has always been a delightful baby during the day, but tricky at night.

We took him to a dinner in Princeton, NJ yesterday. It was hosted by someone D works with (who sends a lot of business his way). She cooked enough for an army, but only 6 people attended. I think I made up for my consumption with lots of biking and walking today.

Comments

blackcrag said…
"Mishegoss"? Not a word I'm familiar with.

I don't remember ever sleeping with my parents. I was put to bed at bedtime, with my story, and if I cried I cried. If I woke up, one of them would check on me and tell me to go back to sleep.

None of this bed weaning.
Bearette said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bearette said…
me·shu·gaas or mish·e·gaas or mish·e·goss (mÄ­sh'É™-gäs')
n. Slang
Crazy or senseless activity or behavior; craziness.

Thanks for the tough love suggestion, but I'm more comfortable with my approach at this point.
judy in ky said…
I like your approach, too. E is such a good-natured baby.
A funny thing happened to us about the word "meshugaas". My husband is from Michigan and he had a sweatshirt that said "Michigan" in Hebrew. He thought it would be fun to wear it when we went to Israel. People teased him because the Hebrew spelling of Michigan was very similar to the Hebrew spelling for meshuggaas... we told him he was "crazy".
Bearette said…
That's funny. I never thought of the Michigan/mishegoss connection before :)
blackcrag said…
Sorry, I didn't mean my comment as advice; more an observation on how child-rearing has changed since we (I believe we are fairly close in age) were at the same stage.

Another observation: I was spanked as a child, and more than once my mother took my pants down in the middle of the mall and spanked my bare butt (I'm not saying I didn't deserve it--I was often a stubborn and trying child). Then it was called discipline. Now spanking is termed abuse and you can end up in court over it.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!