A tale of two bookstores

So I was reading a good book - Good Luck by Whitney Gaskell - when I noticed that page 154 was blank. I flipped through the rest of the book. Roughly half of the pages were blank. I no longer had the receipt, but the book still bore a Borders sticker. So I went to Borders to return it. But every other copy had the same problem.

So I trekked to Barnes & Noble (a better store, but further away) and couldn't find it. I was dejected until a saleslady came up to me and offered to help, explaining that not all of their fiction was on display. I explained the situation and she was enraged. "Oh my God!" she said, looking at the empty pages. "This is defective! It was probably a whole print run." She found a mass-market edition in another section, and actually gave me a store credit for the difference in price between that and my trade paperback - about $6. She kept trying to scan my old copy in and it wouldn't work, so I mentioned again that it was from Borders. That didn't seem to bother her, and she typed the PLU number (or whatever) in manually. I can't believe I actually made money on this! Kudos to B&N for their kindness.

Comments

BabelBabe said…
and the moral of this story? You will trek further away to patronize the store that actually helped you? pretty please?
Bearette said…
I really should. Unfortunately, the B&N is almost a mile away...There used to a be a B&N close to us, and it closed, and the real estate is sitting empty, unused. D and I are both still in mourning.
Poppy said…
That is hilarious and awesome, gave both me and Dawg a chuckle.

What is up with so few B&N in the city? The one near where I work is just for the local high school so it only has teenage books and trade books and then a cooler of sodas, no barista section.
BabelBabe said…
our B&N downtown closed a few years ago but the surburbanish ones continue to flourish. wonder why...
Rachel Federman said…
I still feel so disconsolate over that chelsea B&n closing. Thank God it's a Trader Joe's now and not Bank of America but man, I can hardly even pass it still without my stomach dropping. Now Borders is gone too!

Blank pages = pretty unforgivable altho during my B&N stint we once published Little Women where Beth didn't die.

I'm procrastinating my work and going back at random to ancient pages of your blog.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!