Smorgasbord

Tonight I told D about PP. He got obscenely excited. PP is a place from my youth. You can get vanilla ice cream there and get toppings from a smorgasbord. They have butterscotch sauce, hot fudge sauce, strawberry sauce, nuts and sundry other trimmings. "I don't know if they exist anymore," I told him. "They were always kind of old-fashioned. They might not have survived in this Internet age."

D left the room and came back with his iPhone. He quickly determined that PP still exists.

Which brings me to...pregnancy. We are probably going to have another baby (not imminently, but within the next 2 years). The thing is, and I know this is shallow and we're not supposed to think about this stuff, but I don't want to gain 47 lbs again. So...those of you who have more than one kid...did you gain the same amount of weight each time? Based on some cursory research I've done (with a small sample size), people seem to gain more weight when they're carrying boys.

Comments

Roxanne said…
Honestly, I have no idea how much weight I gained with either of my pregnancies. I know that sounds strange since most women focus on that number as it continues to rise beyond what you ever thought would be conceivable. I just remember listening to my doctor/midwife and if they were ever concerned with my weight then I would have paid closer attention. That was never the case so I just tried to eat healthy. One thing I did notice is that I wasn't quite as big in front with my girl than I was with my boy (although he was 11 days past due and she was only 1).
Bearette said…
Lucky! They weighed me at every appointment and told me the number. At the end, I was getting weighed every week. So it was impossible not to focus on it :( Interesting that both of yours went past their due date...E was 6 days early. Hope you had a good Christmas.
G said…
heh heh...I remember PP...I thought they would have closed as well. Good to know they are still around!

Maybe we should go there when you are in town again. Please let me know, I would love to see you.
Bearette said…
Sure, we might go in January. We didn't get to go home for Christmas...
BabelBabe said…
Primo - close to 50
Seg - 30 or so
Terzo - 18
Quarto - LOST 12 pounds

of course after Primo and Seg, my stomach returned to flatness; after the last two, my stomach is apparently not capable of being flat, regardless of how toned it is underneath all that stretched skin and muscle. The good news - it's hereditary. so if your mom is flat-stomached, you too can be. I however will not. No matter how skinny I get otherwise. Sob.
Bearette said…
Well, I like the downward progression! My mom had four kids too. I'm planning to stop at two...
Anonymous said…
What, you mean you don't want constant questions about your gestating twins? ;)

I'm with Roxanne- though they weighed me at every appointment, I didn't really focus on the number as long as the midwives were happy. I think it ended up being around 35 pounds, and I gained a lot in the first trimester. (probably because I used to skip meals when I was busy- but as you know, you can't deny hunger when you're pregnant!)

I bet you'd gain less with a second pregnancy.
Bearette said…
Liz - EXACTLY. I actually had that in my original version of the post. 35 is good. I'm hoping to be in that dr-recommended range of 25-35 lbs next time. I gained a lot in the 1st trimester, too - constant nibbling b/c of the nausea.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!