So D and I got back from our dinner. When we got there, they were playing trendy music and I felt a little out of place with a baby. But then everyone smiled at us and said "Aww" as we passed them on our way to our seats. It was the kind of place that starts off strong and then the entrees aren't quite as good. The appetizers were spectacular. They brought out little dishes of apricots and cherries in some kind of subtle sauce, and a small dish of honey to dip our cheeses in. We got fontina, a sharp cheddar and creamy cow's milk cheese. I didn't think much of the cheddar but the other cheeses were lovely. We also got lentils, which were not quite as good as the cheese initially, but they grew on me. My entree was pasta with butternut squash, hazelnuts and shaved smoked ricotta. The squash tasted oddly like meat. The hazelnuts looked like chickpeas. They didn't have the apple crisp, so we passed on dessert, and I ended up eating some very old sorbet from the freezer at home. Sorbet doesn't go bad, does it?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'd like to try some smoked ricotta sometime. I don't care much for ricotta normally, but I liked just about anything smoked.

I don't think sorbet goes bad for a long, long time. It might be a bit freezer burned, but if tasted good enough to eat, then it was fine.
Bearette said…
I had to kind of scrape it out of the container...alarming. But it tasted ok.

So you don't like peas?
Anonymous said…
I shouldn't be too hard on peas. Like most vegetables, I've found I enjoy them raw, but I can't stand them cooked. Frozen peas mixed in with stuff is okay too. I assumed you were cooking them, and I forgot that I've had them raw :)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!