Umlaut

One of our babysitters has an umlaut in her name. I told E about it and explained what it was. Then he said what sounded for all the world like "umlaut." A friend said this didn't count because E didn't know what he was saying; however, I love the idea of "umlaut" as a first word.

I have this itch to travel. Usually D and I go away in March to Miami, but now I am toying with the idea of Maui. I've never been. But a 12-hour flight...probably not smart. However, I asked the pediatrician about plane travel for babies, and she said a long flight can actually be better because there are no quick changes in air pressure. That is, a lot of time would elapse between takeoff and landing (the phases when air pressure fluctuation can bother a baby). She said you want to nurse a baby at those times, if possible - "it's the baby equivalent of chewing gum." Anyway, because of the length of the flight, she said Maui might actually be better than Miami. "Of course, then you have to deal with sitting on a plane that long," she said. So who knows what we will do. But one thing's for sure...I need an adventure.

Comments

Caro said…
Ooh, Maui! Sounds wonderful to me.
Bearette said…
I'll be sure to put up lots of pics if I go :)
Poppy said…
Oh, I hadn't thought about the fact that babies are supposed to understand what their first word means. hmm.
This suzy said…
I don't know how my parents pulled it off, but I took my first plane trip when I was about 4 months old. We flew to Texas to visit my paternal grandparents, since they hadn't met me yet. So I know it must be possible somehow!
judy in ky said…
I hope you go to Maui, and I hope you love it as much as I do. I'm not such a great flyer myself, but I will always get on a plane that's going to Maui.
Anonymous said…
I've been to Oahu twice and it was mind-blowingly gorgeous. Really wonderful snorkeling, too. I would love to go back some day.
Anonymous said…
I think the first time I ever traveled, I was weeks old! I think they were expecting me a few weeks earlier.

There's still plenty of room at the writing workshop I'm attending next week! That could be a mini adventure for you and E :)
Bearette said…
It's funny you say that because I just recently started writing again. Maybe E can write his first novel at the workshop ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!