Hype

I just requested a book with 795 holds on it (there are only 38 copies). The book is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. We'll see if it lives up to the hype.

One book that was *not* worth the hype for me was Water for Elephants. Everyone recommended this book to me - bloggers, MIL, Pilates teacher. I took it out of the library three times and could not get interested.

One book that *was* worth the hype, a few years back, was Michael Chabon's Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. I'm waiting to see if The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society will be worth it.

What's your experience with hyped books?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I loved Water for Elephants, but to each her own. :) I ordered a copy of TGWTDT for my library back before it was published- it was checked out almost as soon as it hit the display.

I'm usually behind on reading the "hyped" books, unless they're by one of my favorite authors.

word verification = no wed old

is that advice??
Bearette said…
heh - maybe :)
BabelBabe said…
i liked Water for Elephants. Surprisingly to me.

Edgar Sawtelle is the big hype now and I haven't checked it out yet, but I do have Guernsey.... on my holds list....the "hot" books tend to be hit or miss with me.
Caro said…
I loved Water for Elephants too. Babelbabe told me about it.

Another one she reccomended was Girl in the Tangerine Scarf or maybe it was Girl with a Tangerine Scarf.

But my library didn't have it. :-(
Bearette said…
C - I tried that one too, and couldn't get into it! Maybe you could borrow a copy from the library up here :)
Anonymous said…
Let's see, I don't normally read hyped books. I think The DaVinci Code was the worst case of this. I read it for a book club, and a few pages into it, I thought, "Hell if this can get published, why can't I?" Good story but poor writing, IMO.

Ages ago, there was Angela's Ashes too. I liked it, but I think I was too young to really appreciate it.
Bearette said…
I liked Angela's Ashes. Da Vinci Code, i stayed far, far away :)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!