Hello! I hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

It was kind of a crowded weekend, so I don't know where to start. We stayed at my mother's house and went to my brother's house on Thanksgiving. As we drove down my mother's street, she pointed out a house where there had been a fire, and the owner's dogs died in it (the owner was at work). This was the kind of thing she really should not have told me. It is still making me sad. The owner's cats did survive, however. The fire department tried to resuscitate the cats and 1 dog (the other had already passed away) with special tiny masks, and the cats lived. I am glad there are little masks for the animals, but it was one of the saddest things I'd heard in a long time. The owner is, understandably, hugely upset.

In happier news, my niece turned 12 this weekend, and we celebrated the night after Thanksgiving. I still can't believe she's 12. When she was very young, she had her own special language:

mobila = oatmeal
dirl = girl
dakka = jacket
ippie keem = ice cream

When her baby brother was born, she kept saying, "Hani hold baby dirl," because she had been hoping for one. (Hani was what she called herself, referring to herself in the third person.) After her father told her it was a boy, my niece said, "Wait and see." Her father said, "I did see! It's a boy."

My nephew regaled us with stories about the biggest pumpkin at the Topsfield Fair (1600 lbs or so, and 17 feet tall), and plans on entering his tomatoes next year.

I have some news I can give you pretty soon. And the scare I had before, fortunately, worked out...

Comments

This suzy said…
I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving!! That's so sad about the house fire, though. I, too, would be devastated if I were the owner.
Anonymous said…
Now I'm waiting in suspense for the "news." The story about the dogs makes me sad too :( Why am I saddened more by animals suffering than people suffering?
Bearette said…
Suzy - me too. I keep thinking about the pugs.

Kitkat - I'm the same way. Maybe it's because they seem so helpless, and that makes us more protective...
Lisa said…
Happy belated Thanksgiving!

And now I'm going to hide under the covers and snuggle with Rowen. Since adopting her, I can't deal with sad animal stories. Those poor dogs and their poor human!

P.S. I'm glad the scare has passed and looking forward to your news.
Bearette said…
Thanks, Lisa! Give Rowen an extra hug for me :)
Anonymous said…
Can't wait to hear what your news is! I've had some scary/stressful stuff going on too (but nothing terrible), so I feel for you.

I have awful animal stories!! That's just the kind of thing that would have me up at night...

Hope you had a great holiday!

-ladypeter
Roxanne said…
Nate used to have his own language when he was little. I remember one time he stayed with my parents and we received a desperate call from my mom. He kept telling her he wanted sillick, screaming it louder and louder each time she didn't produce the right thing. She would have never guessed that it was....yogurt. One of my favorites was crockaduh. Helicopter. :)
Bearette said…
That's fun :) Though I would never have gotten yogurt from sillick, either ;)
Mz.Elle said…
Oooh the wondering is going to KILL me,heehee.
I'm so glad your scare turned out ok and that you had a great holiday too!
Your neices sounds adorable!

I'm so sad about those dogs though..how heartbreaking:(

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!