Lars and the real girl

So D and I saw Lars and the Real Girl last night. It was a sweet movie with an interesting premise. It takes place in an isolated Northern town (I thought Minnesota, D thought somewhere in Canada) and features Ryan Gosling as a lonely young man (Lars) who doesn't want a girlfriend, but does want some companionship. So he orders a life-size, female (anatomically correct) doll from the Internet.

I really recommend it. Although the doll never spoke, she somehow had more personality than most sitcom characters (and a fuller schedule). Lars' motivation in getting the doll can be summarized by his attitude toward fake flowers: "They're not real, so they last forever." It also starred Emily Mortimer and no one else was really recognizable, but they all did a good job.

Comments

This suzy said…
I thought that movie looked interesting and kinda fun, although I'll probably have to talk Master into seeing it if we can manage to go. He's not much of a movie person. (How did I end up marrying one of those? lol)
Amy said…
I think Ryan Gosling is an extremely talented actor. I'll have to check this flick out.
Bearette said…
I think so too. I have to get around to seeing Half Nelson.
Anonymous said…
the over all look and feel of Lars and the Real Girl reminded me a lot of Mozart and the Whale (Josh Hartnett plays a character resembling Ryan Gosling’s); both movies are about acceptance and unconditional love

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!