More knitting, hipsters and books

Here is the first Alice's Mitt I finished. I actually liked it better than the Fetching pattern from Ravelry. I thought it was simple and elegant. Best of all, no thumb! You just slip the first stitch of each row to create the gap that your thumb fits through.


I don't remember when in the movies Alice wore these mitts...I remember a scene from New Moon where she and Bella are driving to meet the Volturi. Maybe it was then.

My book drought has ended. I started The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall. It has all the intrigue of Big Love, without getting bogged down in cult politics. This book is just focusing on the family. I can see the appeal of having sister wives...they would pick up the slack in a number of areas, including housework and child care.

Also, I was mulling over hipsters while having lunch with Poppy yesterday. I am intrigued by how they wear vintage shirts, play vinyl records and actually use Polaroid cameras...everything old is new again. I think nostalgia is at the root of their movement.

Comments

Poppy said…
I'm still curious what the intentions are behind hipsters. If that's their authentic life that's cool, if it's just a character they're playing I hope they take a break behind closed doors to hang out in their underwear without a Polaroid camera around.
This suzy said…
I'll have to check out that book. I like Big Love, but sometimes wish they'd focus more on the family dynamic and such.
BabelBabe said…
i keep trying to talk friends into forming a commune with me, and this is exactly why. : )

like those mitts - they look like I could handle them, are they very hard? LOVE the color, too.
Bearette said…
You could definitely handle them. Just stockinette and ribbing. Thanks! Branching out into purple after too much pink :)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!