I just read one of those "kindred spirit" entries on another blog. Caro at The Caro Zone was saying how she can't seem to get into fashion - hates high heels, is befuddled by accessories, etc. I feel the same way. I like to wear sneakers, can't stand shopping for clothes, and to compound my problems, I gave a bunch of my clothes to Salvation Army when I was pregnant and they looked impossibly tiny. So, I have very little that I can wear - unless I want to put on maternity clothes that will gape in the chest and stomach. And yet, it is very liberating to not have many clothes. I can be the bookish frump I am at heart.

I just finished Beat the Reaper, which wasn't exactly literary, but clever. It's about a doctor who used to be a hit man. And it was written by a dude who went to my college. Yay! Now I've started Run by Ann Patchett. It took me a few pages to get into, but I do like it.

The latest craziness - I was considering getting a tattoo, and I blogged about it, but deleted the post so as not to freak out my mother. I even picked out a small blue butterfly as a design, and thought about putting it on my lower back. Then I read an article about "aftercare," which brought home that a tattoo really is a wound (filled with ink). It takes 2-3 weeks to heal, and you have to wash it and apply lotion several times a day. I remember when I was 20 and thinking of getting a belly button ring, and then I decided against it because I read a (fictional, but still) description of a woman getting one and her navel filling up with blood. I guess I am just not good with pain. I am one of those women who says she is never going back to the delivery room, and (kind of) means it.

Comments

judy in ky said…
You are a wise woman... why put yourself in pain needlessly. I know a girl who got a belly button ring and got an awful infection. It wasn't pretty!
Anonymous said…
I had a belly ring for years, and I remember almost passing out when the piercing was done. Don't ask me how I survived NCB.

My bro and his wife have lots of tattoos and know a good artist in your area if you change your mind. ;)
Bearette said…
Thanks for the tip ;)
Anonymous said…
Speaking of "kindred spirits," I've been heavily contemplating getting a tattoo. I've wanted one for more than 10 years, but the potential pain (and lack of having a design that would be worth it somehow) always kept me away. Lately, the urge is strong. Maybe because I'm rounding 3rd base on my way to age 30?

I also don't have a lot of clothes, but I do like to shop. It's weird. I'm continually reminded of Fight Club where he says that he's on his way to having a respectable wardrobe--I think if I can just have that one shirt or whatever, I'll be complete and I can stop shopping.
Perplexio said…
I read Beat the Reaper about a year and a half ago. I found it interesting but I'm not too sure about that ending. I thought it was a bit too far-fetched. It really challenged my suspension of disbelief.
Bearette said…
It really did. It did not rank high on the believability scale.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!