The return of Rainer

So D, E and I saw Rainer today. If you've been reading my blog for a while, you know that Rainer is an exceptional cat and a long-time friend. If you haven't, Rainer is a tabby who lives in a Brooklyn bookstore. Because of distance, pregnancy, childbirth and the whole megillah (a little Yiddish has rubbed off on me after living in NYC so long), I haven't seen Rainer since January '08.

When we got to the bookstore today, the owner (also known as Rainer's father) said, "Hi!" I saw Rainer's friend, Hayes, napping on the counter. I asked, "Does Rainer still live here?"

The owner nodded, but seemed a little uncertain. Then he told me that Rainer had had cancer. The tumor spread, and now he only has three legs. But he's getting around fine and feeling much better.

I saw Rainer then, sleeping peacefully on a box. When he woke up, he came over and sat in my lap. Just like old times.

Comments

Lisa said…
Poor Rainer! It has been a long time since we've had news of him. Glad to know he's still around, if a little worse for the wear.
This suzy said…
Aww, poor guy. I'm glad he still remembers you though! :)
judy in ky said…
I'm happy to hear that Rainer is feeling better and is able to sleep peacefully again in the bookstore. What a nice picture... of him coming over to sit in your lap.
Tracy said…
My husband worked with a girl this weekend who also has a cat that just recently lost a leg to cancer. She might call me to take photos... I think it's such a great story!
I lost my dog to cancer when I was a kid... it started in her legs but they didn't catch it... said it was tendonitis. By the time they figured out what it was, it had spread to her lungs. When I hear stories like this it makes me angry and sad all over again. But happy that these animals get to continue on in life... even as a tripod!
Bearette said…
Judy - if you want to see some actual pics of him, check out my January 24, 2007 entry (in the archives)...he's a good-looking cat.
Anonymous said…
I love that Rainer is a legend on your blog. He's like a minor character in a novel :) I think it's fascinating how animals don't sit around and pity their lot in life. If I lost a leg (granted, that's half of my legs, whereas for Rainer it's just 1/4), I'd probably be depressed for the rest of my life. You probably couldn't get me to hobble around like nothing happened. But animals are like, "Well, I guess this is how it is now."

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!