So, as a mother, I've decided not to sweat the small stuff. The "small stuff" means "housekeeping." When my mom was here, she helped clean up, and my SIL also helped clear up the place the other day. But it re-messifies quickly. I have decided not to worry about it.

Have I mentioned that I miss swimming? I really, really do. They told me not to swim for 6 weeks - "your cervix is still open." But I swam at 5 cm, the day before delivery! I wonder what the difference is now? Maybe it was okay before because my water hadn't broken. My mother got E a small swim shirt with a shark on it. They have these mommy & me classes at the pool I use and I can't wait to bring him to one.

A friend of mine who gave birth in April came today with her baby, who is also an E, though he has a different name. It was funny, we told each other we were both thinking of E names (this was before our babies were born), and we both assumed that the other had chosen Ethan. As it turns out, neither of us chose Ethan!

It was interesting hearing about her birth experience, which was different than mine. She went natural, at home with a midwife. We agreed that transition contractions are horrible (8-10 cm; this is where I caved and got an epidural, and she used a birthing pool to dull the pain). She only pushed for half an hour, lucky girl - she thinks it's because she was able to squat with gravity on her side, whereas in the hospital, you lie on your back. She was saying if you squat in the hospital, the doctor would have to squat with you, and s/he would end up being exhausted from squatting all day with different patients, and you don't really want a worn-out caregiver. It's tempting - 30 minutes of pushing as opposed to 3 hours - but I think I need the hospital. As I thought when the bad contractions hit: "I could probably do this without an epidural, but there are no awards for martyrs."

Comments

This suzy said…
You know, I think a maid service would be a good thing for new moms. You just made me think of that! A new kind of baby gift! lol
Anonymous said…
In the hospital where I'm delivering you can be anywhere in the room you want in any position you want when it comes to pushing. But I'm working with midwives, who tend to think along those lines anyhow...
Anonymous said…
Wow, I just had to catch up on the last few posts I missed. I'm still impressed with your dedication to your blog! It's probably best that you get used to the mess now because before long there will be toys strewn about your place. I think perhaps a parent only gets a clean house when all the kids are old enough to do chores and clean up after themselves. Until then, you have the right attitude--don't sweat it.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!