So tonight my relationship with Rainer took on a whole new dimension. He was sprawled peacefully in my lap when the bookstore cashier came over with a purple brush in his hand. "Hey there, how do you feel about brushing?" he asked. (It is an eccentric but charming bookstore.)

"Does he like it?" I asked.

"Depends on who he's with."

So I accepted the brush and ran it through his fur, very gently. He seemed to really enjoy it. Later, when he climbed off my lap, he lay down on the floor next to me and I brushed his belly. He stretched out his front legs with pleasure.

I also wanted to mention my neti pot. Inspired by Liz, I ordered one from Amazon a while ago, along with some packets of saline soution. At first I was dumping the salt into the water and not stirring. This really burns up your nose. Now I stir the salt and it works much better. I've overcome that feeling of "This is someplace I shouldn't be rinsing," and I've found it's pretty helpful.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks to this post, I just learned what a neti pot is :)

So, you and Rainer took your relationship to the next level, huh? That's pretty serious stuff.
Roxanne said…
I think you should write a novel about all of your pet encounters in the city. I haven't come up with a title yet, though. :)
Anonymous said…
I haven't tried my neti pot yet, but will soon. I'm going to try and wean myself off of my meds. ;)The thought is sort of terrifying, though, especially this weekend when I was having a major sinus problem and the little blue pill quickly made it all better.
Bearette said…
Kitkat - hehe :)

Rox - good idea! Maybe Cats in the City. With a companion volume, Dogs in the City ;)

Liz - that sounds like a good idea. i've been combining the neti pot with claritin and sometimes benadryl. but it would be cool to see if it works by itself.
Anonymous said…
I think I like the title Pets in the City :)
Iamthebookworm said…
Ok I have heard that the neti pot is wonderful for your sinuses and allergies but I just can't bring myself to doing that.
Roxanne said…
Pets in the City sounds a lot like Sex in the City so it might catch people's attention better. But I do like the separate books for cats and dogs.

Do I get a percentage of the profits? ;) (maybe just a free copy)
Bearette said…
Bookworm - it's really not that bad. It feels strange at first, but then you get used to it.

Roxanne - of course :) Maybe we should co-write it, including animals from Ohio ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!