I was saying to Liz earlier this week that nonfiction sometimes feels like a chore...but sometimes I am in the mood to read it. I have to recommend Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose. At first I was afraid it would be somewhat stuffy, but I'm learning all about these books I never heard of! Case in point: The Marquise of O-- by Heinrich von Kleist. Though Kleist tragically died young, his stories sound lively, racy and full of plot twists. The author of the book taught writing at a university in Utah and assigned the story to her students. She was holding her breath to see how the wholesome Mormons would react. (Of course, I kept thinking of Big Love.) It turns out they loved it! Now I want to read it.

And finally, I'm having brunch and seeing a movie with T this weekend. I suggested 3 movies and she's up for any of them. The Ten, Becoming Jane and No Reservations. Any recommendations?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I kind of want to see Becoming Jane, but I just don't see myself convincing the husband to go with me. So, if you see that, I can live vicariously.
Bearette said…
Huh! Maybe I'll do that.
Bearette said…
It does seem like a movie where there would be no men in the theater.
Anonymous said…
come chat with me when you have time- I want to talk w/ you about the Berg novel!

(!!!!)
blackcrag said…
No Reservations, hands down!

It stars Catharine Zeta Jones, it involves cooking, it Catharine Zeta Jones, it's a romance, and it stars Catharine Zeta Jones!

What more could you ask for?
This suzy said…
I'm really curious what the book (The Marquise of O) is like and what it's about. I've heard of The Story of O (though I've never read it) and I'm kind of curious if they're related somehow. Please keep us posted! :)
Bearette said…
Suzy - i will! i'm planning to take it out of the library as soon as a spot opens up on my hold list :)
Bearette said…
Oh, and from what I know of the plot -- a girl is pregnant but she doesn't know who the father is, and has no memory of the act.
Caro said…
How say, I don't know what any of them are about.
Elsa said…
I can't help you out with a movie (other than I loved The Bourne Ultimatum - but that wasn't on your list).
Bearette said…
Elsa - we're going to try to see that tonight!
Bearette said…
E - I thought I should mention I'm having trouble loading your blog...youtube seems to be holding it up? Just wanted to let you know :)
Elsa said…
Thanks for letting me know about the blog. I might have too many postings on the one page. I'll change that to a more managable and downloadable number! Thanks again and have fun at Bourne.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!