Eventful

A lot has happened today already. I went to meet D for lunch and along the way I spotted a Boston terrier -- one blue eye, one brown. I stooped to pat it and then I heard an ear-bruising screech!! Everyone's head whipped around. Even the dog jumped. A taxi had squealed to a halt and there was a delivery boy on its hood.

Somebody yelled, "Call an ambulance!" The boy seemed fine, even hopping on his bike to finish his deliveries -- but everyone persuaded him to stay. I took out my cell phone but another woman was already giving details to 911. After the woman finished the call, I was satisfied that help was on its way, so I continued. There were a bunch of rubberneckers/supporters gathered around the boy, so he wasn't alone. The dog stayed too.

I was shaken by this, of course, but then something amusing happened. A few blocks later, I knelt down to pat a beagle tied outside a coffee shop, and it let loose with this big mournful howl: AROOOO. Everyone smiled, including a girl whom I realized was Lake Bell. I guess she's not famous enough to be paranoid about being recognized. Susan Sarandon (my first celebrity sighting back in 1999) practically ran when I spotted her. But she didn't need to; I never say anything. I've also seen Ethan Hawke and Edward Norton, and I have to say they are better-looking in person.

After lunch, I walked D to a meeting. We passed a bakery with all sorts of novelty cakes. One had a real Barbie head, but its dress was all cake (about a foot long from the hem to the neckline). There was also a cake shaped like a fluffy white dog. They had cupcakes, too, with frosting in the shape of Elmo's head, Bert's head, etc.

Million Dollar Baby is our next Netflix movie. My mother warned me not to see it. She's usually accurate; she told me not to see Closer, and then I saw it anyway, and didn't really enjoy it. But I do like Clive Owen, so maybe it was worth it ;)

Comments

Mz.Elle said…
I like it when dogs talk like that:)
Elsa said…
Wow - that must have been scary with the delivery boy on the hood.

I really enjoyed Million Dollar Baby - more than I thought I would. And Closer was ok - didn't love it, didn't hate it.

BTW, the bakery sounds nice! :-)
Bearette said…
I think this bakery had fun cakes to look at, but for true tastiness Billy's Bakery is my #1 choice :)
Reighnie said…
Don't you just love Netflix? They messed up my queue recently but I love them anyway.

I'm glad the boy was ok. Accidents are so scary. I've seen too many.
Kristen said…
I'm excited you saw Lake Bell. She was in one of my favorite shoes ever - Miss Match. It only lasted like 4 episodes but I am still feeling that loss. And I liked Million Dollar Baby - just know that it is very sad. I went in thinking it was going to be a female Rocky and ended up being kind of shocked and traumatized.
This suzy said…
I'm wondering, do you have to allow yourself extra time to get somewhere so you can stop and pet all the various animals along the way? :)
Bearette said…
Zen - they're the best!

Kristen - i'm sorry about your loss :) that's what my mom said, too -- depressing. i hope the character doesn't die at the end.

Suzy - hee. that's a very good point! maybe i lose five minutes ;)
My dog howls like that, too. She is not a barker, but she does howl at feeding time. :-P It's so cute!
Caro said…
My Mom and I are the opposite of you and your Mom. If she loves it, I hate it. Maybe i'm just ornery.
Angela said…
I miss my dog...great post!
Anonymous said…
I wonder if it's the same cab driver who hit my brother? At least people stopped. My bro said that for the most part, people continued to walk by as he lay on the side of the road. !!!

I have a special pan to make the Barbie cake you saw. All you need is some batter and a mountain of pink frosting. :)

Also- Million Dollar Baby. I don't want to give anything away, so post something after you watch it so we can dish. :)
Bearette said…
C - I'm like that with my mother-in-law. D says she is a "reverse indicator."

Notta - sounds cute :)

Angela - thanks! I miss my dog, too (the one I grew up with).

Liz - I was thinking about that! This cabbie stopped, so it was probably a different one. It's awful that people just kept walking.

Now I think I should see the movie :)
Anonymous said…
Good luck with the movie, and tell us what you think. It's powerful and difficult to watch at times, but I think it's worth it.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!