So, nursing homes are much more interesting places than you thought they might be. My mom said to me, "Did I tell you about the time I visited Aunt A__ in the nursing home and a man lunged at me from a wheelchair?" Apparently he is known for this. He sidled up next to my mother and asked, "Do you know the football scores?" Then he reached out his hands to grab her. An aide appeared and said, "DANIEL! Don't touch her!" But as soon as the aide's back was turned, he prepared to lunge again. The aide asked, "Did he touch you?" and my mother said, "Not yet."

My mother also has a friend with dementia, who has a boyfriend. Apparently she thinks the boyfriend is her (late) husband and just calls him "honey" and "sweetie." Recently, my mother's friend was hospitalized, and apparently the boyfriend was hitting on other women in the dementia ward.

Comments

judy in ky said…
Dementia is a very scary thing. Hearing these things always freaks me out.
BabelBabe said…
my mom was a nurse in a geriatric nursing home. you would not believe some of the stories she told us.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!