So it's kind of weird with D gone. I know he was anxious about the sleeping situation. He was also worried that he might eat too much at the pizza buffet tonight. (Can you tell this event was planned by a guy?) I told him he could call me if he wanted me to stop him. I didn't hear from him so I guess the situation was under control.

On Sunday I saw The Break-Up with TN. I have to say I was kinda disappointed (though I had fun with TN as always). I don't know why I keep going to see Jennifer Aniston movies. They're never good. Although this one had a surprise ending. I was waiting for it to creak to its inevitable conclusion, and then something different happened. So that was interesting, I suppose.

I watched Seinfeld on TBS earlier. I was never into the show during its original run, though my mother watched it regularly. I guess my reasons were as follows:

1) no romance
2) I didn't find anybody on the show attractive
3) they all seemed kind of despicable

For some reason, none of this bothers me now, and it's like an original series to me since I never really watched it before. Tonight, though...this woman wanted to break up with George and he was avoiding her, because his heart was set on going to a ball and making a grand entrance. He figured if she didn't break up with him, they could still go to the ball. So Kramer broke up with him on the woman's behalf. Kramer took him to Pomodoro. As an aside, Jerry said that everyone breaks up at Pomodoro.

Now, I've never been to Pomodoro, but I know it's an okay restaurant on the Upper West Side. I wonder if it really has that reputation. And I wish they would go to better restaurants on the show. But the Upper West Side is not really known for its eateries.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I remember when we stumbled upong the "Soup Nazi's" restaurant in NYC a few years ago. We started shouting, "No soup for you!"

Very original.
Lisa said…
I agree with you on both the movie and the show.

The Break-Up: I agree with the critics; the supporting cast are the best part but they don't have enough of a role to hold up the movie. And I'm kind of getting tired of Vince's schtick.

Seinfeld: I deal with enough obnoxious, self-absorbed people in my real life. Why would I want to watch them on television? I found the characters too annoying to be amusing.

Mmmmmm. Pizza.
Bearette said…
Poor D!

Liz - hehe. That place is actually wildly popular. Though it may have closed down now.

Lisa - it's funny how the supporting cast is the highlight of a lot of these movies. I thought the supporting cast was awesome in Failure to Launch too. And Parker Posey is going to be the female villain in Superman! You just know she is going to be better than Kate Bosworth (the female lead).
Anonymous said…
I love Parker Posey.
Perplexio said…
Might I also recommend the British sitcom Coupling? It's kind of like Friends but much more raw, where Friends would often "imply" sexual connotations, Coupling has overtly sexual humor. The dialogue on that show was absolutely brilliant:

Sally: What do you call people you go out with but don't try to sleep with?
Patrick: Men.
----------------------------------
Steve: I like naked women. I'm a bloke. I'm supposed to like them. We're born like that. We like naked women as soon as we're pulled out of one. Halfway down the birth canal we're already enjoying the view.
----------------------------------
Sally: You know, I have never understood the male obsession with lesbianism - a whole area of sex with nothing for them to do. Just answered my own question, haven't I?
Elsa said…
I heard that The Break Up got horrible reviews from the critics.

I used to LOVE Seinfeld when it was on. I was so disappointed when it was off the air. I don't know why I loved it so much, but I did. I don't watch the reruns - but I'm sure I would still enjoy it just as much.
Bearette said…
Liz - me too :)

Perplexio - hmm. I remember the American version was awful. But maybe...

Elsa - have you seen Julia Louis-Dreyfus's new show? it's actually really good. i think it indirectly got me into Seinfeld.
Bearette said…
P - I guess I also don't like rawness. I like how Friends is kind of cute :)
Elsa said…
I used to make sure I was home every Thursday night to watch (this is pre-TIVO). I think I liked the obnoxiousness of these characters. I never knew people like this - so it was pretty funny. I think my favorite episode is when the 4 of them (Seinfeld, George, Kramer and Elaine) make this bet as to who could go the longest without...you know... It was pretty funny. I also liked the one about faking the big O.
Elsa said…
Bearette - No, I haven't seen her new show, but heard about it. Maybe I'll watch a couple of shows. It'd be nice to get into a funny sitcom. I think the only sitcom I watch regularly is The Office on NBC and Thick of It on BBC. Both are hysterical!
Lisa said…
I love the Brit Coupling (there was also a not-very-good American version; we ruin everything!).
Bearette said…
Elsa - I haven't seen those two yet. But I want to see them all :)
Perplexio said…
The American version of Coupling WAS awful. The British version was infinitely better.
Caro said…
George Costanza always made me cringe. :D
verniciousknids said…
I loved the Brit-Coupling, but since they canned BBC Japan, I can't watch it anymore :( I liked Seinfeld for a while...but then it got boring, and I never saw the final episode. And I never pay to see Jennifer Aniston in anything...I find her really whiny.

I know this post is kind of whiny...sorry!

And Bearette I think you just identified the difference between British and American comedy...British = raw, American = cute (I hope I haven't started transantlantic/pacific warfare!)
Bearette said…
VK - I think you might be right! Though the Full Monty wasn't too raw ;)
Bearette said…
Elsa - the fake O one is on now, lol...

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!