I had lunch with AT today at Wai (a tasty little somewhat healthy diner on 6th Ave). Much of the conversation was of a confidential nature, and I am not allowed to blog about it :( However, I can tell you what we ate. It was one of those rare lunches you can split exactly down the middle, without unfairness. Here's what we had:

2 Wai salads (greens, avocado, chickpeas, tofu, carrots and carrot-ginger dressing)
1 order of steamed vegetarian dumplings (shared)
2 cold ginger teas
1 slice of warm apple crumble pie (shared)

I've gotten the pie cold before, not wanting to be Sally-like; but having it warm really makes all the difference.

Anyhow, I'm reading a Whitney Gaskell book (see sidebar), and the heroine is regretting how she used to slather on baby oil as a teenager and bake in the sun. I did the same thing. In fact, I listened to the Spice Girls as I baked in the sun (the resulting brain-fry probably made the music seem better than it was), and then I jumped in the pool. We had an above-ground pool behind the house.

The pool is now gone, leaving behind just a flattened circle of dead grass. Which is too bad, because I have some good memories associated with it. The summer after high school, for example, when I worked at Taco Bell, I would take off the hideous uniform (navy blue shorts and purple shirt, which my mother insisted was "cute") and dive into the pool for a midnight swim. It was really fun.

Comments

Elsa said…
The pie sounds yummy.

I also used to put the baby oil on to bake in the sun. And there was one summer in particular in college, where I was out in the backyard alot. I had a great tan - and that's saying something since I usually burn and it takes a a lot of work before I get a good tan. I don't do that anymore. Now I'm worried about skin cancer and wrinkles. Ahhh...getting old! ;)
Caro said…
Your lunch sounds great!

I baked every summer too and swam in the pool, all without sunscreen.

Sunscreen was for wimps! Wimps, I say!

My wrinkled self despises those unwrinkled wimps!
Anonymous said…
I am pretty fair-skinned and have endured many a burn in my day. However, I didn't usually do the oil thing (I can only imagine if I had...)
verniciousknids said…
Growing up in the Sunshine State, I had a permanent year round tan...however I've never liked sunbaking...I got my tan from swimming etc. Living in Tokyo, I'm the whitest I've ever been so I'm hoping that this will counteract the damage from my youth...It does work like that, doesn't it?!
Anonymous said…
Spice Girls. ;)

I'm with Ashley-- I burn almost instantaneously. I always wore sunscreen but I've already had to get some pre-cancerous spots removed. It's a shame that my body is so anti-sun, because I love it so!
Bearette said…
VK - by sunshine state you mean australia, not florida, right? i remember you hadn't been to the continental US.

E & C - It's amazing i'm not a raisin now (yet)...i got so tan before college that some people actually thought i was indian...they were amazed to see me all white that winter ;)

A & L - it was very wise of you to avoid oil :)
Roxanne said…
That lunch sounds yummy! Can I join you sometime? ;)

If I tried to lay out with baby oil slathered on my bod, there would be an ambulance involved and it would be headed straight to the burn center. Yeah, it's that bad. I should buy stock in Banana Boat or Coppertone. ;)
Bearette said…
Sure ;)

You know, I'm usually pretty burn-proof in the Northeast, but Miami was a whole different story. I got a really bad burn there in '04. I now wear a hat and sunglasses (when I go there, at least) ;)
Lora said…
You just don't strike me as the baby oil slathered sun worshiping type.

It's amazing how much more intense the sun is in the South. I have to be really careful down here.
Lisa said…
With my fair, freckled skin, you'd think that I'd be very careful about being in the sun. But . . . not so much. I've already had several burns this summer.
Bearette said…
Lora - not so much now, but when I was 18...i used the oil.
Mike said…
I could never stand the idea of laying in the sun. I mean, if it was that nice, then I should be on my bike, right? But before the racing I used to live on our dock and in the lake at our house in the Adirondacks. Or the public pool in Rhinebeck if I was home. But I never used sunscreen. Even now, I don't really use it, but you should see my tan now...dark as can be up to the point where my raing clothes start, then blindingly white. Even have tan lines on my hands from the gloves.
Bearette said…
Hee...d has the same thing. must be a biker's tan ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!