I temporarily like Brooklyn better than Manhattan...though I suppose it's fading already. Whenever I teach there I succumb to the charm of the cute brownstones with people and dogs gathered on the stoops (and you know I pat all the dogs) and the quaintness of the yoga studio being over an old-fashioned bike shop. The people seem friendlier - they smile as I pass - and Union Street at night is a veritable Doggie Way, with a dog to pat every few feet. You can imagine how awesome that is.

The only thing wrong with that studio is the stereo. The stereo and I do not get along. I gave up trying to hook up my iPod to it (which works everywhere else I teach), so I tried CDs tonight. However, the volume kept getting louder, even as I tried to turn it down, so I ended up turning off the music. I've taught more "silent" classes there than anywhere else. AND fireworks started going off in Prospect Park in the middle of class. This one woman looked truly rattled and yelled, "Is that thunder?" I thought of Liz's dog and hoped I wouldn't need to give her a sedative. I managed to calm her down and someone else explained that it was fireworks. In the back of my mind, I was wondering if it was gunshots...but no. It's in a nice area of Brooklyn.

Then I got home, after some guy stepped on my foot in the subway, and emerged into Manhattan where two cars almost ran me over (and I was crossing very lawfully on the crosswalk, with the light) and a waterbug scuttled in front of my apartment building. At least it didn't run toward me.

It got me thinking of the first time I came to Manhattan. It was my 20th birthday and my mother and I went to see Ralph Fiennes in Hamlet, on Broadway. It was high summer and the city stank. I don't think it smells so bad these days. Anyway, we really liked the play...and Ralph, in an Oedipal twist, began dating the woman who played his mother. They broke up a little while ago.

Also, I was in midtown yesterday, going to a studio where I hadn't taught in a while, to pick up a check. I had to go past my old workplace - well, not the office building itself, but close enough. It was funny, though, I didn't feel icky; I just felt a little out of place because I wasn't wearing the Ann Taylor skirt suits I used to live in then. So I guess I finally exorcised all that stuff. I was relieved.

Comments

Elsa said…
I've never been to Brooklyn other than the time I did a very touristy thing and walked the length of the Brooklyn Bridge to and from Brooklyn, but I can understand enjoying the charm of brownstones, etc. It probably feels more "homey" than Manhattan.

BTW, what is it with Ralph Fiennes whose name should be pronounced RALF and not RAFE like he calls himself?

I can't picture you doing the "suit thing". Probably because I've only "known" you as the Yoga instructor.
Anonymous said…
Wow, so you teach yoga? Very cool. Do you do that full time? What did you used to do in your suit-wearing days? (Sorry so many questions.)

But one more: I saw you're reading The Myth of You and Me. A friend bought that for me and I ahven't gotten to it yet. Do tell when you're far enough along to be able to say...

We were just discussing Brooklyn this evening, in fact. Some friends' friends live there and I was saying that I've never really explored any of it; when we go to NY, we generally don't get outside Manhattan. I take it you live in Manhattan, Bearette. What part?
Bearette said…
E - but i wear a suit when i teach yoga! lol.

A - I used to be a lawyer. it was highly icky and painful near the end. i'm currently teaching at about 7 studios, but not full-time. i'd like to teach even more, though. i do live in manhattan, in chelsea, which is near the village. i like the book so far...it's a little heavy-handed and serious but i'm enjoying it. it's well-written. the protagonist is 6'2" which is making me wonder if the author is really tall as well ;)
Anonymous said…
I agree that your non-icky feeling means you've moved on and gotten those demons out of you. That's a good feeling.

I don't know anything at all about NYC except that I'll be living about 3.5 hours away from it in a month :)
Lisa said…
"I thought of Liz's dog and hoped I wouldn't need to give her a sedative."

I just about spit out my morning soda when I read that!
Anonymous said…
Just remember to add a little peanut butter and she should take it with no problems. ;)

Maybe you could carry an emergency Jiff with you when you teach.
Bearette said…
E - i guess he thinks "ralph" is not cool ;) not european enough, maybe.

kitkat - yay! i bet you're excited.

lisa - she had the same panicked look ;)

liz - thanks, i'll keep that in mind. maybe organic peanut butter for the yoga set ;)
Roxanne said…
Good for you...demons gone.....moving on.

I've never been to NYC or Brooklyn, but we will be planning a trip sometime in the hopefully not too distant future. I'll have to ask you for tips/places to go/people to see. ;)
Mike said…
Brroklyn is cool, as is the rest of NYC. Just need to find the cool parts of each borough. Prospect Park holds bike races early Sun mornings quite a bit, but haven't benn to them in a looonnnggg time.
It's good you don't feel bad near your old work. Some jobs do that to you. Enjoy your book.
This suzy said…
I'm duly impressed by your use of "Oedipal." lol
Caro said…
Being a pedestrian is dangerous business. I'm glad you didn't get hit!

I read about those water bugs. They inject their prey with a chemical that dissolves them. Yuck.

Don't let one bite you. I wouldn't want you to dissolve!
Bearette said…
That's horrible! Now i'm scared as well as repulsed by them. hopefully i'm too big for them to dissolve me...

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!