Venturing into veggie sausage-land

So tonight I will be cooking veggie sausage for the first time. I was never a fan of the meat version, but I have a recipe for white bean cassoulet that calls for veggie sausage, so I decided to dive in. D and I are both excited and repulsed by the idea. Whole Foods offers 3 types of phallic veggie links - chorizo, Italian and apple-sage. I went with the sage because it seemed most compatible with the French-inspired dish I will be making.

I'm also thinking about getting a slow cooker. I was always sour on them, and not sure why. I think there was an unflattering description of a crock-pot in one of the Ramona books, so they always make me think of limp pieces of stewed meat. But I have a vegetarian cookbook with some appealing slow-cooker recipes in the back, and there's a whole other book devoted to slow-cooker recipes by the same author. Also, they're good in the summer because they don't heat up the kitchen. Summer is the season when I tend to forget about cooking, only to slink back in the fall like a fickle lover. So I'm planning to order a slow cooker from Amazon by then.

Comments

judy in ky said…
I miss Whole Foods. In Philadelphia, we had Whole Foods and Trader Joes. Here in Kentucky, we have neither.
Anonymous said…
we use veggie meats from time to time. For the most part, I like them. When I was pregnant, I ate Yves "beef" skewers when I was craving barbeque ribs.
This suzy said…
I'm curious what the veggie sausage will be like.
G said…
Slow cookers are awesome...I have made a number of dishes in them, including vegetarian chili. I'll see if I have any good recipes for you.

Sorry I missed you while you were up in MA...I would have gone to Vinny T's with you ;)

PS - Did you hear MO got engaged?
blackcrag said…
I love my slowcookers. Yes, that's plural; I've ended up with two of them.

Slow-cookers are year-round things; useful to cook a chili up overnight so you can take it to work, to having a pasta dish ready for the second you come home. They can cook up an appetizer while you are busy with the entree or vice versa. Very flexible things.

And since you don't eat meat, why worry if it's limp? Of course, there are ways around that too.
Bearette said…
G - i thought about calling you, but didn't know if you'd want to make the schlep while pregnant. i did hear about MO on facebook! a bunch of people are getting married this year.
Roxanne said…
I love, love, love the slow cooker. After a full day of dealing with the munchkins it is a godsend to have a hot meal waiting for us to dig in. Sometimes I use recipes, but often I throw in whatever veggies are sitting around that need to be used up, add a few spices, and viola...there's dinner!
Bearette said…
Well, y'all, I ordered the slow cooker. And the cookbook to go with it.

And the veggie sausage is good! I just sliced and browned it, and sneaked a piece.
Bearette said…
Judy - i feel your pain! whole foods is good to have around.
Caro said…
Phallic - LOL.
Bearette said…
They really are. They taste good but look kinda scary ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!