So E and I went to a nearby park today and he tried the bucket swings for the first time. Of course, he was more interested in chewing on the swing (the chain and the rubber part) than the actual motion. He also caught the eye of a little girl using the "big kid" swings.

Girl: She's so pretty!

Me: He's a boy.

Girl: Well, he looks like a girl!

I give up.

We also gave up with someone who lives in our building. He's a very nice man, but the idea that E is a girl is lodged in his brain, and he can't let go. Sample conversation:

Man: You have such a beautiful daughter. God bless you!

Me: Yes, he's ten months now. (Admire the subtlety?)

Man: Well, she's gorgeous. Enjoy! What's her name?

Me: Eric.

Man: That's beautiful. Bye, sweetheart! What a perfect girl.

We also checked out a preschool this morning. Though this particular place takes children very young, even younger than E is now, we have no interest in putting him in preschool until he's at least 2 years old. Maybe even 3. But we figured we would check out the local places.

We were both a little disappointed. We like the concept of the place - lots of outdoor activity; the kids even cultivate a garden. We got a peek at some daffodils they planted. But there was one kid crying in his high chair for kind of a long time. At that point, there was one woman with two kids in her charge (the other caregivers and kids were outside). One of the inside kids was just wandering around contentedly, so there was really no barrier to her taking care of the crying kid. Eventually she brought out a jar of food for him. I don't really know what the deal was with the delay. D noticed it too.

So we weren't thrilled with that. But we're going to look at some other places and get a feel for what's out there.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I don't get the boy thing. Sure, there are some babies that look like they could be either sex, but E looks like a boy!
judy in ky said…
Yes, I think he looks like a boy too.

Sort of along the same line: I worked in a place for six years and there was a very nice older man there who called me "Beverly" the whole time I worked there. I guess I just looked like a Beverly to him.
This suzy said…
I'm with the others - I think E looks like a boy.

Maybe you should change his diaper directly in front of the man in your building. LOL
Bearette said…
Judy - That's funny. A yoga teacher used to call me Melissa and someone I worked with a long time ago always thought I was Sarah. I think I look like my name, though.

Suzy - that would startle him! lol.
Bearette said…
Kitkat - I agree. I think he looks like a boy.
Hannah said…
That is so weird. I agree with your other readers-He is definitely a boy and a beautiful one at that. :)
Good luck finding a good preschool!:)
Tracy said…
ah ha ha ha...
I don't know why the convo with the older gentleman made me laugh so hard but I literally had to wait before I could come tell you that I thought it was funny.
Like a boy named Sue or a dog called Kitty... you have a girl named Eric.
hee hee...
Bearette said…
It is silly, isn't it? Now he seems to have figured out that E is a boy.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!