So I'm back in NYC. We took the train back yesterday. My mom thought it would be a light travel day, but the place was packed. She also thought it was Superbowl Sunday. The guy sitting with us explained that it was next weekend. Although they've had football cakes at my supermarket for the longest time. What's up with that?

At the back of the train car was a baby convention - E, an 11-month-old named Wally, and a 4-month-old named Romy. Wally weighed 25 lbs and was stuffed into a Baby Bjorn - he only likes to ride facing outward so he can see the world, his mother explained. He had 8 teeth and a jolly expression. Plus, his head was covered with duck fuzz. He was very cute. Romy was smaller and slept peacefully most of the whole way.

Romy's mother seemed impossibly serene. She recommended a pediatrician to me. We got talking and it turns out that Romy is her third child. One of her children was allergic to breast milk so she had to follow a special diet in order to nurse. She kept it up for 3 months. She also thought there was nothing wrong with using formula with babysitters - a move I feel weird about. Still not sure if I'll do it or not.

Comments

blackcrag said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
blackcrag said…
I realize I'm about to step on that mystical mother/child bond new mothers feel (only for the first one I've noticed; second and third children leave the mother too busy for that new baby bond)but there's nothing wrong with formula.

I'm adopted, so breast milk was never an option for me. I was a formula baby all the way. At 6'2", and 200+ pounds, I don't think it stunted my growth and as I beleive I'm reasonably intlligent, it didn't hamper my thought processes any either. A little formula won't hurt E any.

Of course, I don't see why you can't pump a little of the real stuff for the babysitter either, or know if you've considered it.

But I'm a guy and conventional wisdom runs guys don;t know a dman thing about babies in the first place.

Here's an omen for you; my verification word is 'jughell'. Read that which ever way you wish (I found two so far).
judy in ky said…
Thanks again for the cuteness.
Bearette said…
Jughell - ha. Yeah, I've tried pumping, but it takes a while to get what you need...For what it's worth, I was formula fed as well.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!