Hair

I know this is a recurring theme on my blog...but here goes. I had to start coloring my hair in 2008. I've never used a box. Someone, I think my mother, told me if you're going to get your hair colored, you should go to a salon. (Which is funny, because I remember her dyeing her own when I was growing up - the Miss Clairol boxes, the gloves, the purplish-black dye which was actually brown in practice.)

Anyway, my hairdresser has left her salon in a rage and gone to a rather inconvenient one. I am checking out a new one recommended by someone else, but it is more expensive and they might frown on me bringing a baby. So I am considering the last frontier: box dye. It seems kind of difficult and messy, but all I really have to do is my roots. The rest of my hair is still a pleasant, non-grey brown. How hard can dyeing my roots be? What are your experiences with box dye?

Comments

Domestic Kate said…
I've dyed my hair several times from a box--never from a salon. It's easy, and the only time any weirdness happened was when I tried to go red! My recommendation is, when you're applying it, stand on an old towel (unless you're not concerned about the bare floor below) because it might drip. Wash your hands and ears thoroughly afterwards because it'll stain. Basically, follow the directions and you'll be fine.

The more "natural" products don't last very long, so if it comes out a little funky, you can probably wash your hair several times and get it to fade away pretty quickly.

I've never just done my roots before, but I'd suggest that if you're not sure about a color match, go with something just slightly darker than your regular color. Then it'll just look like you have slightly darker roots, which is pretty normal for everyone anyway.
i remember helping my daughter and it was a bit messy.. she used one of those products that just added a light dye touch to her hair. As far as me, I have never attempted it... I go to someone who does my highlights w/out the peroxide.
Bearette said…
Wow! I wasn't expecting responses so quickly. Thanks to both of you. The towel tip is very helpful. The darker roots thing also makes sense. I feel braver now.
it helps to have someone help you.. especially the back of your head...
judy in ky said…
I've never been brave enough to try it!
Bearette said…
Judy - it really was easy! i recommend the mousse.
Rachel Federman said…
Used to do it all the time - red or black. Sometimes bleach and then another color. I don't think the bleach was a great idea.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!