So today my Kindle bought the farm...it's an example of no good deed going unpunished. I was taking E to his playgroup via cab and he handed me the remains of his mushy apple bar. There was a little pocket in the door of the cab that would have been perfect for these remains, but it always irritates me when people leave food there, so I thought, no! I won't be barbaric. I'll put the apple bar in my pocketbook even though it will mess up the interior.

When we got to the playgroup I found that my Kindle was a sticky mess. I dabbed some water on a paper towel and cleaned it. A couple of hours later, the top of the screen turned into stripes (kind of like that public broadcasting test they used to do on TV late at night) and was no longer readable. D had a laptop that met a similar fate, so I know that once those stripes appear, an electronic device is unfixable.

So I ordered a new one, but realized I would go crazy without books in the meantime. I got a paper edition of the book I was reading on the Kindle, and caved and got a pair of reading glasses. I use a fairly large font on the Kindle, not quite as big as a large-print book, but larger than what you'd find in an ordinary paper book. I find the font in a paper book now strains my eyes. I got a pair of 1.50 reading glasses and they seem to do the trick. I do miss the Kindle, though. But it is scheduled to arrive on Monday. And it is 18% smaller and 30% lighter than its predecessor (less than 6 ounces)!

Comments

This Suzy said…
Isn't it funny how quickly we get used to technology after having used the "old" way for most of our lives? :)
judy in ky said…
I feel your pain. My husband took "our" Kindle on a two-week business trip and I am running out of books to read with another week to go!
I got to the point where I needed reading glasses in a 2.50 and finally got prescription glasses.
Bearette said…
Suzy - it's true, I haven't read a paper book since I got my Kindle in June (until now).

Judy - hmm, maybe you can give him his own Kindle for Christmas? :)
Laura said…
I'm sorry about your Kindle, but thank you for your public service of not leaving apple bar in the door pocket. I agree with you; it is really irritating to find other people's food in a cab. Yuck.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!