Just finished The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag, the second in the Flavia de Luce mystery series, by Alan Bradley. It's interesting, I tried to read the first one, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, a few years ago, and couldn't get into it. Then the third one, A Red Herring Without Mustard, came out recently and pulled me in right away. The beginning was arresting: Flavia goes to a Gypsy's tent to get her fortune told, and it's suitably ominous; then the tent bursts into flames. So having finished the third, I went back and read the first two, and now I'm a bit in mourning that they're over. Flavia, at 11, is a cross between Harriet the Spy and Lemony Snicket: sardonic and brilliant. She also reminds me of Janie from Harriet the Spy, because they both love chemistry.

Comments

judy in ky said…
At the moment I'm reading The Weird Sisters, at your suggestion. I'm enjoying it.
Bearette said…
Yay! That was a fun book. I liked all the shakespeare references.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!