Parsnip

I'm reading Bitter in the Mouth by Monique Truong, a novel about a woman who tastes flavors when she hears certain words. Her description of a parsnip's flavor:

"A celery and a potato meet and have a love child. The celery departs soon thereafter, and the potato thinks of their fleeting time together with fondness and longing. Skating around the edges of their unlikely love affair is a McIntosh apple, contributing to the tableau all of its faint spiciness but none of its obvious sweet or sour."

Fairly accurate, isn't it? I always forget how much I like parsnips.

Comments

blackcrag said…
I love roasting parsnips. They go well in several soups I make too.

P.S. I suspect this blog has a Cuban connection: my word verification is 'castro'
Bearette said…
I'm actually a Cuban spy ;) Not really...

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!