D just called with juicy gossip. His cousin and his wife are splitting. Apparently she had been having an affair for a long time, spending weekends with the guy.

I have a few reactions.

Disbelief - they always wrote flowery tributes to each other on Facebook - e.g., "You are the best thing that ever happened to me" and "Happy anniversary, my love."

Disappointment - she is one of my favorite people in D's extended family and I will probably never see her again.

I guess I have no special perception/insight in this area. She is the LAST person I would expect to have an affair and they are the last couple I would expect to split up.

Comments

Domestic Kate said…
Looks can certainly be deceiving. There are some ex-family members that I would like to have kept in touch with after the divorce, but I knew that would be impossible. It's too bad.

I think there's also gossip in my neighborhood: I suspect a couple who live downstairs is splitting up. They had a big fight a couple weeks ago, and I haven't seen the man since. Today I saw him taking a few things out of the apartment and into a friend's car. I feel really bad for the woman. She seems sweet.
Bearette said…
Yeah. It is sad. I do wonder if they are really splitting - no updates on Facebook yet. Maybe it is just a passing thing.
Rachel Federman said…
I always find this stuff totally shocking...tho the protesting-too-much stuff on FB doesn't surprise me. I remember a friend once said that when couples renew their vows they're about to split up. Those over-the-top declarations always sound like trouble to me.

Too bad tho - that you likely won't see the woman again.
Bearette said…
I remember you said that once...about how all the gushy people on FB would be divorced within the year...I told D about that and he said you were very perceptive :) The woman is still clicking "like" on my statuses and so forth...maybe she doesn't intend to ditch us after all.
Rachel Federman said…
hah!!! funny re: that comment I made and you telling "d"...I'm glad she's still clicking "like" - what a hilariously modern-day litmus test for a relationship

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!