27 shortcomings

A friend of mine is on Match.com. (Well, she used to be my babysitter, but that is neither here nor there.) Anyway, she noticed that everyone's profile was a list of (probably fictitious) virtues: I run 10 miles a day, read the New York Review of Books, have won the Nobel Prize, etc. So she decided to list 27 of her shortcomings, including her overuse of the Oxford comma. She used to get a trickle of responses every day; she woke up to a flood. She's afraid the men will start climbing in through her air conditioning ducts.

I thought this was an interesting comment on human nature. Do flaws make people more likable? Or was everyone just tired of perfect profiles?

Comments

Domestic Kate said…
They probably figured she was the real deal (for once). I remember one time a few of us at work were looking at a coworker's Match profile (in retrospect, it was mean, but we were curious) and we noticed how remarkably ambiguous he was about everything: "I'm quiet but I love to talk and laugh." It was sad how much he just wanted somebody, anybody, to like him.
Rachel Federman said…
wow! love it - probably both - this belongs in a story somewhere

I remember a friend once posted "looking for a man who is not afraid to wear tights" and was flooded with responses
Rachel Federman said…
"I'm quiet but I love to talk and laugh."


oh - just saw that in Kate's answer...makes me sad
Bearette said…
Is she now dating a tights wearing man?
Bearette said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
This Suzy said…
I would agree with Kate, that they're glad just to see someone being real - finally!! It'll be interesting to see what happens from here, though.
judy in ky said…
It depends on the flaws… some are more likable than others!
Rachel Federman said…
actually she ended up with a woman!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!