Well, I am happy to report that we were not too much affected by the storm. It was a bigger deal than Irene, though. I knew this when Z woke up to nurse and I peeked out the window. Other than the building opposite the street, which shares our generator, everything was pitch black. No taxis on the street, no streetlights, just a random ambulance barreling through. Patches of the city still have no electricity - there's a line of demarcation above which everything is normal ("Of course we're open!") and then you're plummeted into darkness, until you see our building. There are some strange people in our lobby; I guess they have nowhere else to go. Our local supermarket is closed, no electricity. I've been getting fresh fruit from a corner mart. If I want real groceries, I will have to take a taxi to another neighborhood. The subway is still not running, and not all of the traffic lights are working. Fortunately, we stocked up at Gristedes before the storm.

Comments

Poppy said…
I'm very glad you're all ok.
Glad you're ok... From what I have seen, it is really pretty awful!. You must be pretty far north of where it hit.. Stay safe.
Bearette said…
Thank you :) A lot of places are still without power. I'm very lucky to have light and a refrigerator.
judy in ky said…
I wish we had a Gristedes here. Our markets are pretty generic.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!