Cognitive reframing

Once my SIL, who studied psychology, was talking about cognitive reframing. I asked her, "Is that when you try to see things differently?" She said yes.

I'm trying to do that. Tomorrow we have the first of our private school interviews. It's kind of a pressure situation, worse than the bar exam. (I remember at the bar exam I ran into a girl from my college who had just got engaged, and we admired her diamond ring during the break.) It's also the furthest away of the schools we applied to (which is probably why we got an interview so easily). So we have the worst one first, really (although the school itself seems quite nice). So I am trying to reframe as follows:

(My natural reaction) What a pain in the ass. I don't want to do this stupid interview in a different borough.

(My reframed reaction) The campus looks cute. It will be fun to see it. If they ask a question I'm not sure how to answer, I'll let D take it.

Additionally, it occurs to me there is a lot of stuff not worth worrying about. Does the apartment really need to be immaculate? No.

Comments

I remember the hassle of getting on the waiting list for pre school.. What I have learned, its who u know, and it helps to kiss azz... sorry, but its true.. It also helps to be friendly w/the teacher.... As far as the interview, tell them what you know they would want to hear, believe me it works...I have learned that answering the question honestly doesn't always work...People like hearing what will benefit them and make them look good... The interviews for private schools are so pretentious.. My friend taught at one and she would get parents who would bribe her so that their kid would get a good grade. Unbelievable.
Bearette said…
i agree with you, sometimes blunt honesty is not the best...
judy in ky said…
I like your new photo, Moon Child!
Bearette said…
Thanks :)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!