The shoe's on the other foot now

I'll never forget when I met one of the other moms in my co-op. In the land of helicopter parenting, she really stands out. She drank Red Bull when she was nursing, etc. Anyway, once I was in the playroom with her and her child started going through her pocketbook. Suddenly her mouth was full of cigarette butts and the mother was lunging across the room at her: "Don't eat those! Those things are expensive!" I remember smugly thinking, "E would never put cigarette butts in his mouth."

Fast-forward four years. I have a baby who has swallowed my moisturizer, tried to eat A&D diaper ointment (resulting in a call to Poison Control after I read the warning on the label), and stuffed some twigs and leaves into her mouth at a park near E's school today. E was always very cautious with eating. "He'll never be poisoned," my mother observed; he often wanted us to eat something before he would try it. It just amazes me how different two children from the same gene pool can be.

Although they are both wonderful :)

Comments

Rachel Federman said…
this made me laugh..it is amazing how different kids from same gene pool can be! and i love those moments when you realize you have *that* kid
Rachel Federman said…
"red bull mom" = hysterical!
judy in ky said…
It's probably a good thing that Z has a cautious big brother to watch over her. They are adorable children.
This Suzy said…
Genes only go so far, right? :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!