So I've been writing a book with a friend. We're about 4 chapters in. We are having fun with it, and I'm learning a lot. A few things:

  • My natural impulse is to race to the finish line; but if you do that, you've used up your plot in a few chapters. Enter: subplots.
  • I took a writing class years ago where I submitted a piece about a magic cardigan, and the teacher thought it was too light. He wanted us all to write deep emotional stories. So I experimented in that style, and it just didn't feel right. I like light stories (with some substance of course) much better.

Comments

Orange Drummer said…
This sounds awesome. Subplots and various obstacles getting in the way of the "finish line" right?

Are you gonna post any of the story here?
judy in ky said…
When I read the deep, emotional stories I often feel manipulated. I would rather be entertained when I read fiction.
Bearette said…
Judy - exactly!

Orange - not sure, will keep you posted :)
Orange Drummer said…
I can't wait to see the final product!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!