Now that the baby is almost here (well, a month and a half away), she seems more and more real to me. The comments are driving me crazy. I literally can't leave my apartment without this conversation happening:

"When are you due?"
"November 4."
"Really? It looks like you're going to blow/pop/burst/go into labor right now."
"Nope."
"Are you having twins?"
"Nope."

Some people stop there; others say, "Cause you're really big!"

It's a good thing I don't have a gun.

On a more serious note, I wonder what it will be like to have two small children. I feel like I've hit my stride with E. I'm not saying it's easy. But I can handle it. Going back to breastfeeding, sleep deprivation, etc...will I be able to handle that? I guess I will "just do." I do have a fond, perhaps foolish hope that I will have one of those babies that sleep through the night at 6 weeks (or even shortly after coming home from the hospital...I read about a baby like that, in a blog). Because for me, it's the sleep that kicks your ass. I can deal with diapers, crying, etc. But I need sleep to do it.

It's definitely fun buying clothes for a girl, if a bit intimidating at first (so many choices!). I have now bought a complete layette, including a pink bear suit to keep her warm in the winter.

Comments

judy in ky said…
I love buying clothes for little girls! Fortunately, I have three nieces; I bought them many adorable outfits when they were little. Now they are old enough that they want to pick out their own things. But it was fun while it lasted!
I think I understand how you feel when people remark how big you are. I am very fair and don't tan easily, and never appreciate hearing "you are so pale!". Why do people think that's less rude than "you are so fat"?
Bearette said…
Exactly. I always thought it was a good idea not to comment on someone's appearance unless it was definitely a compliment.
BabelBabe said…
My hardest transition was from one baby to two. You are so used to focusing on one kid andnow two might need you and how do you decide who gets help first? You will figure it out and be fine, but I just thought I'd prepare you for that. also, i bet you look lovely. tell those idiot people to shut up :)
Lisa said…
I'm working with a woman who is due in October. Like you, she's normally tiny, so her belly looks HUGE right now. But every time I think about commenting on it, I think about you and just keep my mouth shut!
Bearette said…
Babelbabe - they actually left me alone today! yay.

Lisa - I'm sure she is grateful. Although, maybe people are more tactful in Wisconsin in general.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!