So...I've been trying not to dwell on this too much, but it's what's on my mind, so I'll write a brief post about it. As you may know, the nursery school admission process in New York is insane...there is even a documentary about it, called Nursery University. I actually had fun (or an okay time, anyway) filling out his applications, but now I'm in the thick of interviews/playdates, and it's not so much fun. So that's why I might not be blogging too much.

We applied to 4 schools - we initially chose 2, but then learned that one of them had 16 seats available and 90 applicants (actually less than 16, because some slots are reserved for siblings). So far, E didn't beat the lottery at 1 school. He did beat it at another school, and the remaining 2 didn't have lotteries. So we're going through the interview/playdate nonsense for those 3 schools. 1 school is completely finished, another will be done tomorrow and the last in February. Decision letters will go out in March. (Yes, it really is like college.)

If he doesn't get in anywhere, I'm sure we'll work something out. Still, it's stressful. I feel envious of people who live in other parts of the country, can just walk into a school, and sign their kids up for a program. At the same time, I realize this will not matter AT ALL in five years, and in the scheme of things, this problem is small.

Comments

I saw Real Housewives of NY and saw the episode where one of the families had almost a hard time getting in. U are right it won't be the end of the world.. The pt. of preschool is to teach socialization and for the child to be able to accept authority other than parents... I think as long as u socialize w/others who have kids, he will do fine... Co-ops are great..or u can get together w/other friends and share in doing a low key preschool. Its not rocket science, just common sense.
This Suzy said…
Why is the process like this? Is it that there are too few pre-schools in NYC or just too few good ones?

(I'm just curious.)
Bearette said…
Suzy - i'm not sure myself. I think there are too many kids, not enough private preschools, and D (who grew up here) and a friend of mine (who teaches at a NY public school) say you don't want to go to a public school here if you can avoid it (except for a few which are as hard to get into as private schools; i've heard some people lie about their address to be in the right "zone" for them). I think education in this country, particularly in the cities, is not what it should be. Where I grew up, public schools were perfectly fine, but a lot of the public schools in NYC have huge classes, inadequate resources, etc.
SK said…
Aw, I'm sorry that you have to go through that! It does seem like a lot of stress and work! For preschool no less! I haven't totally looked into things like that here because I don't have the need yet but there are a lot of au-pairs here and not a lot of preschools or daycares. I think it's assumed that people will stay home with the kids since you get 3 years maternity leave (including 1 year with pay). Most working mothers I know have au pairs because it's relatively inexpensive compared to American daycares. Friends of mine pay a lot of $$ and have had to make serious lifestyle changes to afford good schools. It's a sad situation all around, I think. Best of luck to you! Sending you a hug across the pond.
judy in ky said…
There is a school here that takes applications on a "first come first served" basis. Every year parents camp out through all kinds of weather for days, to hold their place in line. It seems crazy to me that they don't adopt a lottery system like you have there.
Bearette said…
SK - Thanks. I needed that :)

Judy - i'm surprised they have this kind of insanity in Kentucky as well.
judy in ky said…
To quote a favorite movie line of mine: "you have no idea".
Bearette said…
Ha! So, moving wouldn't fix it. Good to know.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!