So I just saw Blue Valentine, which I have really mixed feelings about. The acting was excellent. I was particularly impressed with Ryan Gosling. He seems to be able to play a wide variety of roles and do it convincingly. My favorite movie of his is Lars and the Real Girl. But...the movie was a real downer. Bleak. It was probably wise to release it in the winter. So...the next thing I see, I would like it to be light and happy. (You know, I'm going to get my wish, because the next movie I watch will probably be Secret Admirer, an '80s flick I just got from Netflix.)

I also started reading The Beekeeper's Apprentice, a sort of re-telling of the Sherlock Holmes story where he is a retired beekeeper in the English countryside and has a female sidekick, Mary Russell. I like it so far.

Comments

judy in ky said…
I read The Beekeeper's Apprentice and really enjoyed it. Of course, I was on vacation in Mexico, lying in a hammock as I read. It brings back fond memories!
how about michelle williams? how was her acting? she usually knocks it out pretty well.
just read an interview done w/gossling and williams.. williams said ' its hard to see that we are our parents'. she was referring to the characteristics we may not like about our parents but yet end up having them.... was your downer referring to that? or the fact that she had the courage to dump gosling? gosling mentioned how he was surprised the character was able to do that.. i think in real life men do have an issue when women decide to leave them. maybe that's why ex's tend to try to communicate w/the one who dumped?
Bearette said…
Judy - i can see how that would enhance your reading experience :) it reminds me a bit of jane eyre...

KBF - Michelle was good, too. Her character was a little harder to like, but practical. I think it was a downer because you want a better life for the characters, but they're just not going to have it with each other. Very thought provoking movie, though. Worth seeing if you don't mind a sad story.
BabelBabe said…
LOVE LOVE LOVE the Mary Russell books. I hope you do too!
Bearette said…
I got the idea from your blog :) I periodically comb it for book recommendations...

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!