Leek quiche

I had a nice surprise with my cooking today. I've heard that the best cooking arises from mistakes, but I've always been a by-the-book cook so I never had the chance to find out. Well, today I started cooking a quiche and realized I only had 2 eggs. (The recipe called for 4, but I'd been planning to use 3.) I decided to make it anyway, since I'd already chopped up the leeks.

I awaited the results with some trepidation, but I think it's one of my favorite quiches so far. Here's the way I made it:

2 cups leeks, rinsed, chopped
1-2 tbsp butter
1 9-inch frozen pie crust
2 eggs
1/3 c heavy cream
1/3-1/2 c grated Swiss cheese
1/2-1 tbsp flour
sprinkling of Parmesan
1 sliced fresh tomato
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 400. Saute the leeks in butter until tender, then spread evenly over the pie crust. Combine the Swiss, Parmesan and flour; sprinkle onto the pie. Beat together the eggs and cream, and pour over all. Press the tomato slices on the top of the pie and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a knife in the center comes out clean.

(Adapted from allrecipes.com)

Comments

Poppy said…
(That sounds AWESOME. I want to make it.)
Bearette said…
It really was. I recommend chopping the leeks with scissors :)
judy in ky said…
I does sound delicious. I'm going to try it, too. Good idea about the scissors...
Bearette said…
Yes, it definitely made it easier...

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!