Wow, I can't believe it is almost the new year. I'm in that reflective mode that marks the end of an old year. 2010 had some ups and downs. I made some mistakes, but nothing too serious. I learned some things. Overall, I am optimistic about 2011. What are your thoughts as we approach a new year?

And...I'll throw it in this post because otherwise I might forget. The best books I read in 2010:

Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler. I love pretty much everything she writes.
The Epicure's Lament by Kate Christensen.
Brava, Valentine by Adriana Trigiani.
Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin. Disturbing but illuminating look at the life of Lewis Carroll.
Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin. Another favorite author of mine.
The Aloha Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini. I love this series.
The Last Time I Saw You by Elizabeth Berg.
Insignificant Others by Stephen McCauley.
The One That I Want by Allison Winn Scotch.
Hothouse Flower by Margot Berwin. About a woman's quest to collect exotic plants.
The Cookbook Collector by Allegra Goodman. Curiously, I can't get into any of her other books. But I enjoyed this one. It also has a beautiful cover.
The Stuff That Never Happened by Maddie Dawson. A new author that I will keep an eye on.
Slow Love by Dominique Browning. A little depressing, but the writing was lovely.
The Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand. Perfect summer fiction, about a restaurant on Nantucket.
White Horses by Alice Hoffman. This one was very, um, memorable. I think there were a lot of true things in it, though the subject matter was shocking for some.

And (drumroll) the most depressing book I read in 2010:
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. About mistreated clones in a dystopian culture.

Comments

Crystal said…
Thank you for this! I'm going to add these to my goodreads list. :)
judy in ky said…
I appreciate your list of books; I am always looking for new ones.
As the new year approaches, I really hate to think about being another year older. I am at that point in life where you start to think seriously about making the most of the time you have left. Scary, huh?
Bearette said…
Crystal - you're welcome.

Judy - I think you have a lot of time left :) But also, I think it is a good approach. Making sure to do everything you enjoy - going to Hawaii, Philly, quilting, etc.
judy in ky said…
I agree with you that Never Let Me Go was depressing!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!