The middle-aged brain

A book came out a couple of years ago about the middle-aged brain. I didn't read it, but a friend of ours did, and filled us in. He explained that the "young brain" can assimilate new information more quickly, such as foreign languages, but the middle-aged brain has better judgment.

I used to think that middle age began at 40. I had a writing teacher some years ago who was 36 at the time, and referred to himself as middle-aged. Now I know what he means. At 36 or 37, I forget which (I'm 37 now), I started to feel middle-aged. I didn't love this at first. But now I can feel the better judgment of that "middle-aged brain."

The beginnings of wisdom...

Comments

judy in ky said…
I think I grew up with a middle-aged brain. I have always been more cautious and risk-averse than my peers. Now I seem to be developing older-age brain; I forget words and I can relate to my dad saying "turn that music down!".
Bearette said…
I like my music soft, too.
Rachel Federman said…
I've had the same feeling lately

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!