So I went to Delaware today (yes, Delaware) to visit some relatives of D's. I was a little miffed that this twice-yearly gathering was being held in Delaware instead of Philly (the norm, and it's closer to us). But the people who lived in Delaware made the case that it would be more relaxing to have the kids at home instead of in a restaurant (the Philly gatherings are always in a restaurant). They hadn't told the Philly person, who had made reservations at the Olive Garden. And it would be a shorter drive for the Virginia people. But anyway. D figured out that the Acela (high-speed train) was only an hour and a half. I didn't quite believe it, but it was true. Then in Delaware, things were fine except Z got cranky (her nap got cut short by the arrival announcement on the train). So I took her for a walk around the neighborhood. She was in the carrier, so she was high off the ground. The neighborhood was suburban and seemed nice enough, but it was completely deserted, which can be a little bit eerie when you are used to Manhattan.

Then I passed a house with a small, nasty dog in the fenced-in yard. There must have been an opening in the fence, because suddenly the dog was trying to take a chunk out of my leg (it didn't touch me, but it was snarling a few inches from my leg, with all its teeth exposed). It was not a large dog, but seemed very vicious. Dear reader, I have never wanted to kick a dog, but I wanted to kick this one. My mother-bear instinct was kicking in and I wanted this dog to leave me and Z alone. So I remembered those shows where you have to prove you are the alpha dog, to make the dog respect you. I yelled, "Get away from me! Get out of here!" in a voice that I hoped was low and intimidating. Finally it slunk away, snarling and hissing. What a vicious beast. A couple minutes later, a car with a couple of creepy guys pulled over and they whistled at me. I ignored them and they went away. But still, it was not a nice walk and it made me miss Manhattan. I have never felt unsafe in my neighborhood of artsy bohemians and trendy gay men. Needless to say I will not be going on walks in Delaware again.

Comments

YOU go girl!. I agree w/ya mama bear.. Did your yelling bring the owner out? probably not.... sheesh..Next time get someone to go w/you.. safety in numbers.
Bearette said…
Nope, no sign of the owner! Grr. Yeah, if i did walk there again, i would bring somebody with me. Or not go by that house. I remember, it was #11.
Rachel Federman said…
Wow!! That's kind of amazing. I know what you mean. I often feel so creeped out in various chain-link fence neighborhoods or down & out places in a way that I don't feel in Manhattan. I'm so glad your low calm alpha voice worked.
Rachel Federman said…
It's also funny to read about the pro/cons of where to meet-- just seeing how all families/groups struggle with the same mundane issues as to who has to schlep more, where it's easiest to have kids, and the attending misunderstandings (already reserving place at Olive Garden) that cause more upset.
Bearette said…
that's exactly what it was - a chain-link fence neighborhood. in fact, that's what they had in the dog's yard (though it must have had some kind of opening).
judy in ky said…
I always felt safe walking to my job in Philly too. In fact, I met some delightful people on the way. Never encountered a vicious dog or rude dudes. It sounds like you did the right thing, and I agree with you about the neighborhood. Maybe there is a reason no one else was around!
The reason I mentioned Philly was, I had a neighbor in the suburbs who was afraid to go to the "big city" but I went every day and felt fine... in fact, I enjoyed it.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!